mixed, fossils

Bob Saunders

This is a chunk of Michigan clay with sand and probably calcium. I do not know yet if I can do much with it other than perhaps cut down the size to have the fossils. Don't know if a hack saw would help much. all are like micro size and one looks like an Crinoid Archimedes screw 0.7 cm x 0.3 cm. I would like to know what is the tire track like tract line? 5/8th inch, or 0.1 x 1.59 cm or 15.8750 mm. Is this an actual fossil or impression left by a life form. Two are with my phone zoomed in about 1.7.   

P1000856.jpg

P1000857.jpg

20191124_211052.jpg

20191124_210919.jpg

The "tire track" is likely an impression of a branching bryozoan. 

There is no crinoid Archimedes "screw" in any of these pieces (Archimedes is a genus of bryozoan, not crinoid, and would not appear in Devonian-aged rocks given that their range is from about the Carboniferous to Permian). There are, however, several crinoid segment impressions throughout the third pictured piece. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This is Mississippian material (probably Coldwater Shale).  I can't tell from my phone if the narrow thing below the crinoid mould in photo 1 is an Archimedes bryozoan (too blurry).

The oval crinoid columnal in the last photo is Platycrinites

P1000857.jpg.fc70bdd589c68ab361798069db9c1d0f.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

9 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

This is Mississippian material (probably Coldwater Shale). 

I stand corrected. Good eye! :fistbump:

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

I stand corrected. Good eye! :fistbump:

Oh, I did not mean to appear to correct you. :). Nothing you said was inaccurate. 

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Oh, I did not mean to appear to correct you. :). Nothing you said was inaccurate. 

I implied that it was Devonian material. :DOH: -- Occupational hazard of being around so much of it that one sometimes forgets to take off the Devonian-tinted spectacles. :D 

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks too all. I wrote it was clay as we have so much here. This is more of a ball not flat gray layers, and came from a farm pond dig.  But I am fairly new at this. In another thread a member wrote about cutting away unwanted with a right angle grinder. I do not think it would be good to try to dissolve away  the  unwanted or non exposed material?

should have said from South West Michigan. About 5 miles from the lake shore. about 6 1/2 inches wide x 4 inch high. 

The object in the last photo is a bryozoan, I believe.  On a note of personal preference, I would not worry about trimming it down.  The admixture of the various fossils is what is attractive to me.  Matter of personal preference, though.