Ruger9a

Hello everyone.  Is there any way to tell what animal left these tracks?  One looks like a reptile/amphibian and the other looks like a bird to me.  They were purchased in Tucson (Gem/Mineral show) back in the early 2000's without any description other than "dinosaur tracks".  Help!  

20191124_102704 (2).jpg

20191124_102726 (2).jpg

20191124_102806 (2).jpg

Any idea where the tracks were found? Formation, county, state? Not an expert with these, but I do agree with you that first & second pic look bird, third pic reptile/amphibian

Agree, Bird prints for the first one, and reptile or amphibian for the other one. 

The last one looks more like invertebrate trace fossils, to me. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for your comments.  The last photo is the reverse side of the second photo which is fairly thick.  I was "tempted" to try and prep them to see what they might be, but I decided to leave it as is. 

Oh, sorry I forgot to respond to you MASP.  The answer is - I have no idea.  All I know about these fossils is they were purchased in the very early 2000's at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show and were sold as part of an estate sale 7 years later.  These were in a batch of unmarked/unidentified.  My guess is the data labels fell off over time.  Every once in a while I will buy unidentified fossils if they catch my eye and I don't have any others like it.

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Oh, sorry I forgot to respond to you MASP.  The answer is - I have no idea.  All I know about these fossils is they were purchased in the very early 2000's at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show and were sold as part of an estate sale 7 years later.  These were in a batch of unmarked/unidentified.  My guess is the data labels fell off over time.  Every once in a while I will buy unidentified fossils if they catch my eye and I don't have any others like it.

Understandable, in any case you have some neat fossils. I especially like the reptile/amphibian looking tracks. 

3 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

I was "tempted" to try and prep them to see what they might be, but I decided to leave it as is. 

I believe that would yield disappointment. The prints in the last photo have the appearance of infills or underprints. There would be nothing gained by "digging" into them, beyond their destruction. 

The prints in the 3rd image have the appearance of trackways seen in the Coconino sandstone. Not dino, but mammal-like reptiles of the Permian.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Snolly50, Thanks for the additional information.  I did some research and I think you've hit the nail on the head!

Caldigger, I purchased these from a mineral dealer that I used to buy from over a decade ago.  I told him I was interested in fossils as well and he kept his eye open for me.