Question about Dino tracks and teeth

fossilguy312

Hi All,

I have a question for those of you out there who know more about dinosaurs than I do. I recently picked up a grallator track that's about 5" long from Massachusetts. I'm thinking it would be cool to display this along with a tooth or two from a similar dinosaur. Obviously we don't know what species of dinosaur made the track, but does anyone know roughly what type/size of tooth I should

try to find that would be a reasonable match for the type of dinosaur that likely would have made the track?

While we're at it, I'd also be curious to know what size gastroliths this dinosaur might have had inside of it, if anyone knows. Thinking it could be fun to piece together a little set of parts roughly related to this track.

For reference, here's the thread where I showed a picture of the track in question.

Thank you!!

I don't know if they've found teeth or bones of dinosaurs of even around that age in that area.  I would guess you'd be looking for a dinosaur somewhat like Coelophysis but somewhat larger and perhaps a few million years later.

• I found this Informative 1

There actually have been teeth found in the Shuttle Meadow Formation, which is older than the Portland Formation. 

As Jess said, they are somewhat similar to Coelophysis, but no conclusions have been reached on identity, either to the tooth bearer or track maker.

(At least, not in any publications I am aware of.)

A-stratigraphic-Hartford basin.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, erose said:

Not sure you get gastroliths from predators...

Gastroliths have been confirmed from toothless theropods.

• I found this Informative 1

Interesting. Ok - I guess I'll have to re-think my idea. It was a fun thought, though, ha. Thanks for sharing these insights.