3D Printer Files

Allosaurus

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of somewhere that has 3-D printer files available for download of fossils, specifically skulls. I teach geology over the summers to children, and would love to incorporate a couple 3-D printed skulls if possible. I believe I have located a 3-D printer and a friend who is willing to let me print a few things. If anyone has a website that they can recommend which makes its 3-D printer files available or would be willing to share their own files with me, I would greatly appreciate it. No preference on species, variety is preferred to show a better depiction of Earth's history. 

Thingiverse has dinosaur and pterosaur skulls, MyMiniFactory hosts the scan the world stuff it might have some scanned fossils, Sketchfab has the biggest variety but you may need to pay for some models.

You could also go to the website of the Smithsonian, they have scans of their fossils and if you manage to cut them up properly you could probably get their skulls

• I found this Informative 2

I made a thread a while ago where I show the stuff I've printed. Most of the files are from the internet and I've included some links there. Some I have edited myself to make the print better as those models had some issues/errors/holes. But others can be printed easily without problem. Especially the Stegoceras is a really nice skull to print.

All prints in that thread are scans of real fossils. But there are also a bunch of downloadable sculptures on the internet that really aren't accurate at all. Though some sculptures are quite good.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

8 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I made a thread a while ago where I show the stuff I've printed. Most of the files are from the internet and I've included some links there. Some I have edited myself to make the print better as those models had some issues/errors/holes. But others can be printed easily without problem. Especially the Stegoceras is a really nice skull to print.

All prints in that thread are scans of real fossils. But there are also a bunch of downloadable sculptures on the internet that really aren't accurate at all. Though some sculptures are quite good.

What printer and plastic did you use for those?

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Misha said:

What printer and plastic did you use for those?

It's all printed with the Creality CR10 with PLA filament.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

34 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

It's all printed with the Creality CR10 with PLA filament.

Oh, nice I usually use an Ender 3 for my builds.