Messy fossil help

Megalodoodle

Ok, where do I start on removing this fossil? I am a beginner so where do I start? What should I remove first? Should I even bother?image.thumb.jpg.87271e646b694143f709bc8c24aa6f34.jpg

Which fossil are you referring to? I see what appears to be a hash plate with several showing.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Hash plates are really beautiful in their own way. Enjoy the snippet of past life it represents. Trying to enhance it beyond just cleaning it will likely not improve it's appearance. My past attempts at prepping hash plates leads me to this suggestion.

Mike 

• I found this Informative 4

I agree with not trying to remove anything.  You can perhaps remove some matrix to expose things more clearly, but even that should be done with a light touch.  Your time would be better spent trying to find better individual specimens that can clean up well.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

43 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Hash plates are really beautiful in their own way. Enjoy the snippet of past life it represents. Trying to enhance it beyond just cleaning it will likely not improve it's appearance. My past attempts at prepping hash plates leads me to this suggestion.

Mike 

I agree with Mike. I haven’t done much prep work compared to some of our members here. Mainly cleaning and light matrix removal. However, I did attempt heavily prepping a hash plate once. Once is all it took to realize that all my effort wasn’t really worth it. It was a lot of work for little gain in appearance. I wish I had focused on a few smaller specimens that I have. 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

A hash plate contains lots of fossils of dead creatures that fell to the sea floor and/ or the fossilzed sea floor inhabitants' hard parts themselves.

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png