How old is this Fossil Shell

White Feather

found in a hill area of central MS in a field,  sorry I can not remember county or city... when searching with MS Gem & Miner5de1697984832_fossilshell1side.thumb.jpg.72d24e4a06a6b969235dc5ac707dcf1a.jpgal club, we are talking about about 5 hours from coast area. I do know it is an oyster but was wondering if anyone had any idea the possible time frame of age. 

Fossil 2.jpg

So if it was found in Mississippi, why do you have Florida in your tags?

It's an oyster, but can you give a better location than the central part of the state?

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

12 minutes ago, White Feather said:

Well since you picked on my forgetfulness, just delete it. 

I don't think he was picking on you. I edited your tags to read Mississippi instead. ;)  That info is for people searching for those keywords. 

As far as location, if you don't remember, you don't remember.   :shrug:
Our accuracy improves with more information. If you don't know what county it was found in, it will make narrowing down an age that much harder. 

You can see our dilema. 

mississippi-county-map-horz.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I understand your post and I will not post anything unless I can answer all those questions because it was over 20 years ago I can not remember the county or city we hunted in that day..

Just now, White Feather said:

I understand your post and I will not post anything unless I can answer all those questions because it was over 20 years ago I can not remember the county or city we hunted in that day..

Please feel free to post away. We still have an amazing community that can work miracles.  ;) 

We just like to have as much info as possible. 
Sometimes, there just isn't a lot to go off of.  :shrug:

But someone may recognize the matrix or the shell itself. Hang in there, we aren't beaten just yet. :D 

This is also a good reminder for those reading that no matter how much you think you will remember a location, it isn't always the case. 

This is why we suggest cataloging your fossils while the finds are still fresh in your memory. :) 

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is also a good reminder for those reading that no matter how much you think you will remember a location, it isn't always the case. 

This is why we suggest cataloging your fossils while the finds are still fresh in your memory. :) 

Oh sure, now you tell me! :default_rofl:

I have trouble remembering what I did 20 minutes ago, let alone 20 years ago. 

At least you remembered what part of the state which might give those in the know something to start with. :zzzzscratchchin:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

My dear White Feather,

I am not sure that I am reading between the lines correctly, but I perceive that @caldigger's response may have been misinterpreted as an insult.  From all I've seen from Caldigger's responses in the past, I think that interpretation is not in keeping with who he is.  But, I do think that his response was ill-stated and could be read as an attack., so I understand how it could be read as such. 

I'm VERY sure he didn't mean it that way and I'm also VERY sure that we ALL find times when we state things in a clumsy way and are (understandably) misunderstood.  I know that I can find myself guilty as charged on at least 3 occasions on this forum, and I personally feel a hurt when my poor communication skills are misread and offend someone.  I think caldigger may be trying to communicate the same in his later post.

Why am I and others like Caldiger and Fossildude 19 taking the time to tell you this?  Think about it!  Could it be that we value you as a member of TFF and want to be sure that you KNOW that and sure DON'T want to hurt your feelings by leaving you the impression that your questions are not valid?  I, for one, can definitely say that I value you inputs, find them totally reasonable, and want to address them with sufficient answers. I think Caldiger does as well.

It is true that the more info we can gather on a specimen of question, the better we are able to ID the specimen.  It is also true that we will often ask further questions to try to gain more info to help in the ID.  AND, it is also true that we may not be the most appropriate in the way we ask for further info - our bad, not yours. (myself included for sure)

I would say this:  as long as you have a specimen that you have a question about, submit if for help.  Someone may recognize the specimen without further detail and be able to ID the specimen, the age, the location, etc.  There was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with your question, nor with your offering of all the info you could provide.  I also would not be surprised for the forum to probe to see if you had additional info to offer to help in the ID. 

What I also want to clearly communicate is that you did nothing wrong,  Also, in my opinion and history with Caldiger, Caldiger's question was innocent and without blam efor you.  AND we ALL want you to feel welcome in this forum and continue to participate,  just as you have.  YOU ARE A VALUED MEMBER OF THE FORUM,  just exactly the kind of member that keeps us all involved and helps us learn more about a topic we all love.

We welcome you and value what you contribute to the forum.   DON'T QUIT BEING YOU, or feel that you must "EVALUATE' whether your questions meet some standard.

I'm sure I feel for all of the members.

• I found this Informative 7

I suspect it’s Scott county and is Eocene in age. That location is known for its abundance of oyster fossils. This is just a guess going on the info provided but it fits the clues. Mid state and about 5 hr drive from coast.. 23-66mya

+1 @White Feather I’m sure caldigger was just asking for clarification and more info and meant no insult. As for me keep posting! I love a good challenge!

• I found this Informative 6

Yes, I was just fishing for more information and may not have worded it correctly.

I also joke and kid a lot, but wield a rubber sword as to not cause injury. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG