What brachiopod is this?

Utera

I got this a while back with a little notecard with information about brachiopods in general, sadly, none of the information was specified to this specimen. Can anyone help me out on what genus this is perhaps?

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

Hi, you should show us photos of it from all its faces, like that :

images.jpg.2a76bb3b11d4ef870c06eeb8d40f073c.jpg

Could you also give us a scale in inches or centimeters ? Because a lot of us are not from the US and don't know the size of that coin.

Also, it would help if you gave us the geologic age and where it was found if you have them.

Sophie.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Might be Pseudoatrypa or Atrypa, but given the encrustation covering much of the shell and lack of location / time period, that ID is "tentative".  

• I found this Informative 3

The diameter of a dime is 17.91 mm, I'll make sure to put in a measuring tape next time.  I do not have any information on it. The notecard did not specify the location or age of where or when it was found.

• I found this Informative 1

I don't think you'll be able to get much farther than with what Peat Burns has said, unless you have the possibility to get the incrustation removed. As you may know, brachiopods existed from the paleozoic to the present day and there are thousands of species to choose from whose basic forms repeat themselves over time.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 11/30/2019 at 12:07 AM, Peat Burns said:

Might be Pseudoatrypa or Atrypa, but given the encrustation covering much of the shell and lack of location / time period, that ID is "tentative".  

I'd agree with that. Looks like one of those Moroccan specimens that sat out in the weather a bit too long.

When you are trying to take your pictures, see if you can get a little farther away from the specimen and allow the camera to focus in a bit more.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/