[ Baltic Amber Inclusion ] Extremely Rare Aquatic Nymph Of Veliidae SMALLER WATER STRIDER

vermiculosis

Dear Friends,

I decided to share more from my passion, good finds or interesting things if we talk about Baltic Amber with inclusions.
This is still fascinating for me and there is always chance for something extra or new for science.

This time it is something that i found first time ever and i don't have it in any book about amber inclusions.
Its a
Extremely Rare, Aquatic Nymph Of Veliidae - SMALLER WATER STRIDER.

Why so rare ? Well in general aquatic organism's are always very rare becouse they was in water or near water so its very simple.
Its easy to imagine that it would be hard to trap insects (by resin) under water.

What is interesting, there is also in that amber a huge rove beetle ( Coleoptera: Staphylinidae ), spider and botanical mess.
So that is fascinating how aquatic nymph was trapped together with not water "insects".

This buddy got only 1mm so i am happy that i didn't miss him.

I will add photos of syninclusions in comments.

Enjoy!

Artur

4155 Extremely Rare Aquatic Nymph Of Veliidae SMALLER WATER STRIDER  1.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

That's some amazing photography! Nice job and nice specimens!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The anterior 2 appendages of what you identify as "smaller water strider" do not look like antennae, but like legs.  So this may be an arachnid (mite) nymph with 8 legs, not 6 legs plus antennae.  While the legs look like insect legs, the final segment(s) of all legs look like they are missing -- perhaps torn off by the resin flow.  So the leg anatomy appears incomplete and may not be diagnostic of what this inclusion actually is.