December 2019 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on DECEMBER 31, 2019

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the topic is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find

(Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

I must modify my proposal to fully respect the rules of the subject by proposing only one fossil of my group because they were not united on the same block of rock. (Actually, I did not think that, proceeding in this way, it would be possible to propose collections of tens of corals or teeth, for example!...)
With my apologies for my previous error, here is the coral that I propose for the subject of December

Marguy

Cyclolites ellipticus

Campanian (Cretaceous)

Found near Perigueux, Dordogne, France

(upper and lower side)

SI850080.JPG

SI850081.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

Thanks for understanding the rules of the contest. Over the years of this contest we have found the need to add rules to put some limits on entries.

That's a fine looking specimen (and my favorite of the bunch). ;)

This is an unusual coral type and a great entry to start off December's contest. Looking forward to what else may turn up on this last month of the year (and of the decade). :blink: Wow! Time flies!

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, marguy said:

I must modify my proposal to fully respect the rules of the subject by proposing only one fossil of my group because they were not united on the same block of rock. (Actually, I did not think that, proceeding in this way, it would be possible to propose collections of tens of corals or teeth, for example!...)
With my apologies for my previous error, here is the coral that I propose for the subject of December

Marguy

Well played, sir. 

And it's an excellent specimen to enter too. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Took a short trip to Antwerp over the week to go looking for sharks teeth, this is the rarest one I found will be going back again for a week next time two days hunting was not enough. 

Date of Discovery 03/12/19

Scientific and/or Common Name notorynchus cepedianus - Upper tooth

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation Neogene

State, Province, or Region Found Antwerp, hoevenen

Photos of Find

noto1.jpg

noto2.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Hi,

@Haravex  usually we show shark teeth in their natural position. Here you have a superior tooth, so it should be presented with the root at the top. It is very beautiful :thumbsu:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Can I enter my Macroneuropteris macrophylla from Mazon Creek in Illinois?  I collected the concretion in August, but through freeze/thaw it opened this week.  I has some interesting insect damage.

Cheers,

Rich

Date of Discovery 12/04/2019 (concretion collected during August 2019)

Scientific and/or Common Name Macroneuropteris macrophylla

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation Upper Carboniferous, Desmoinesian, Francis Creek Shale

State, Province, or Region Found Morris, Grundy County, IL from the Mazon River

IMG_20191205_231231.thumb.jpg.66ce3a0160c0a4d24f9bd0b71362666a.jpg

• I found this Informative 15

10 hours ago, stats said:

Can I enter my Macroneuropteris macrophylla from Mazon Creek in Illinois?  I collected the concretion in August, but through freeze/thaw it opened this week.

Indeed. The freeze-thaw process to reveal the fossil within counts as "fossil prep" for Mazon Creek fossils. Macroneuropteris can have some lovely detail.

Cheers.

-Ken

We find maybe 4 or 5 of these large spirifers a season and usually, due to their shape and size, they are found in poor condition. This fully inflated specimen is the exception to what we normally find. Because it was a rare find, we had to send it out to be properly prepared under a microscope using an air scribe so the fine details of the shell would be revealed. The matrix I was told was difficult to blast through and I said yeah, that's why I sent it to you. It might not be glamorous like a trilobite but finding this species of brach in this condition is very rare for my sites/area. So finding this was as thrilling as finding a complete/rare trilobite to me. Thanks 

Orthospirifer marcyi (Hall,1857)
(Brachiopod)

Middle Devonian (398 to 385 million years ago)
Moscow formation
New York

Found 9/2019

prepped 12/3/2019

DSC07748.JPG

Orthospirifer marcyi.jpg

DSC08023.JPG

• I found this Informative 14

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

26 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

(Brachiopod)

Moscow formation
New York

Found 9/2019

prepped 12/3/2019

We find maybe 4 or 5 of these large spirifers a season and usually, due to their shape and size, they are found in poor condition. This fully inflated specimen is the exception to what we normally find. Because it was a rare find, we had to send it out to be properly prepared under a microscope using an air scribe so the fine details of the shell would be revealed. The matrix I was told was difficult to blast through and I said yeah, that's why I sent it to you. It might not be glamorous like a trilobite but finding this species of brach in this condition is very rare for my sites/area. So finding this was as thrilling as finding a complete/rare trilobite to me. 

Far more glamorous than a trilobite if you ask me.

Gorgeous specimen. :)

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I like it as well! Beautifully preserved! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

56 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Almost good enough to eat ( covered in melted cheese, of course! ). ;)

Beautiful finds for this beginning of the month, for plants and invertebrates, Macroneuropteris and Orthospirifer are superb!

The first vertebrate find for this month.

Name: Speonesydrion lungfish prearticular plate

Location: Nikanciai village, Siauliai district, Northern Lithuania

Date of finding: 12/8/2019 

Speonesydrion was the primitive lungfish that lived 400 million years ago in Emsian age Early Devonian. It has dental plates with poorly visible denticles in the exterior edges of plate area, the teeth were very primitive in shape. The specimen is found in red marine dolomite, what means it was a marine dipnoan species. :) 

speonesydrion pragian emsian.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

The other vertebrate find for this month. 

Amioid scale of bowfin relative Caturus

Triassic

Found 12/4/2019 

Location Ketvergiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania

Caturus was the oldest bowfin relative, that also means it was one of the oldest teleosteomorphs (or recent ray finned fish). The gen us appeared in The Late Permian and became extinct in Early Cretaceous but in the Baltic states the Triassic period has almost only lake rocks- the find is found in the marl boulder that is formed in lake conditions. :) 

caturus.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

The first invertebrate fossil for this month. 

Obornella gastropod (pleurotomariid) 

Late Callowian- Early Oxfordian

Found 12/3/2019

Location Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania

obornella.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

And the last invertebrate fossil for this month.

Protocardia bivalve mollusk

Kimmeridgian, Late Jurassic

Found 12/05/2019

protocardia sp. kimmeridgian- tithonian.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

On 12/9/2019 at 8:04 AM, mikeymig said:

We find maybe 4 or 5 of these large spirifers a season and usually, due to their shape and size, they are found in poor condition. This fully inflated specimen is the exception to what we normally find. Because it was a rare find, we had to send it out to be properly prepared under a microscope using an air scribe so the fine details of the shell would be revealed. The matrix I was told was difficult to blast through and I said yeah, that's why I sent it to you. It might not be glamorous like a trilobite but finding this species of brach in this condition is very rare for my sites/area. So finding this was as thrilling as finding a complete/rare trilobite to me. Thanks 

(Brachiopod)

Moscow formation
New York

Found 9/2019

prepped 12/3/2019

DSC07748.JPG  Orthospirifer marcyi.jpg  DSC08023.JPG

:wub::wub::wub:

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, D.N.FossilmanLithuania said:

Speonesydrion was the primitive lungfish that lived 400 million years ago in Emsian age Early Devonian. It has dental plates with poorly visible denticles in the exterior edges of plate area, the teeth were very primitive in shape. The specimen is found in red marine dolomite, what means it was a marine dipnoan species. :) 

Always love the amount of scientific detail in your FOTM entries, @D.N.FossilmanLithuania Nice find, BTW

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On 12/9/2019 at 9:30 AM, caldigger said:

Almost good enough to eat ( covered in melted cheese, of course! ). ;)

HAHA How did you know to add cheese? We must have met before.

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

On 12/10/2019 at 2:05 AM, D.N.FossilmanLithuania said:

The first invertebrate fossil for this month. 

Obornella gastropod (pleurotomariid) 

Late Callowian- Early Oxfordian

Found 12/3/2019

obornella.JPG

This is a cool picture.

It looks like I'm landing on a moon base. :zen:

led zeppelin

5 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

HAHA How did you know to add cheese? We must have met before.

Back off, the cheese is mine! ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I'll probably never have another chance for a vertebrate entry of the month, so here it goes. This was very exciting for me as this is the first fossil tooth I've ever found, and I think it's a worthy entry. I'm not sure if this is even rare, but I was very happy to find it! For me its crazy holding it and just thinking about all the different animals this tooth has possibly been inside.

Date of Discovery: December 11, 2019

Scientific and/or Common: 2.05 inch Mosasaur tooth (tylosaur)

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Ozan Formation, Cretaceous period 

Province, or Region Found: Texas, USA

20191217_050751.jpg

20191217_051416.jpg

20191217_112223.jpg

• I found this Informative 23