Crinoid verification please

Ruger9a

Good morning.  In the process of prepping/detailing this calyx I have misplaced some of the documentation.  I know the crinoid is from the Waldron shale, Niagaran series in Waldron Indiana.  Original purchase date was 1982. I have lost the actual name of the species, help please. 

DSCN3460 (3).JPG

DSCN3461 (2).JPG

DSCN3474 (2).JPG

DSCN3478 (2).JPG

DSCN3476 (2).JPG

Sure, I'll give it an uneducated guess for what it's worth.

It looks to me like a cone shaped sponge with worm tubes or bryozoans growing on top; not a crinoid, me thinks, but I fine specimen of whatever it is.

• 1 month later...

I finally found out the species of this crinoid - it's Eucalyptocrinus ebrodi, calyx, Silurian period, it's from Waldron shale, Niagaran series, Waldron, Indiana.

• I found this Informative 5

Just saw this post. +1 for E. elrodi. Much bumpier calyx plates that E. crassus

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• 9 months later...
19 hours ago, Ken K said:

Determination looks good E. elrodi calyx.  What's cool is the Bryozoans covering the top...nifty!

I may be wrong, but I don't think those things on the top of my crinoid are bryozoans.  They look like the calyx arms to me.

The arms of E. elrodi are stout and have the same pustules on the arm outer face as the calyx.  Each pair of inner arms is in a "compartment" with stiff unmoving support arms.  Both the feeding arms and support arms are clearly disarticulated from the calyx.  These would not remain present on top of the calyx in most instances as the high energy environment of the Waldron, that caused the disarticulation, would certainly separate the two.  The projections you see spaced evenly around the rim of the calyx is the attachments for the support arms.  In between these would be the feeding arms x 2.  There may be crinoid debris mixed in the material that is sitting on the calyx bit I can't see any actual arms from the images.  The one picture you have that shows the specimen "as received" could possibly be showing a couple very short pieces of inner arm...hard to tell from the pic though.

Ken,  Thanks for the incite, it's very much appreciated.  I'll try to post some better photos sometime today to help in the identification process,  Either way, I find it to be a most interesting specimen.