Crinoid#1 ID help needed

Ruger9a

Hey group.  I hope you're not getting tired of answering all my questions.  Because...... I am requesting your expertise in a few more crinoid identifications.  The information (as listed) I have on this specimen is it a  Devonian Crinoid Flower from an estate sale collection from the early 1960's.  It's listed(?) find location is Iowa, USA.  It was originally purchased from Ralph E, Mueller and Son Phoenix, AZ in the early 1960's and was displayed in their store for several years until being sold.  Help please!

20191201_121848a.jpg

20191201_121730a.jpg

20191201_121743a.jpg

20191201_121758a.jpg

20191201_121832a.jpg

20191201_121816a.jpg

The modular look is a bit like crinoid plates. I can see it being a reproduction strategy in such a simple being.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks for your help guys, but  I'm kinda lost, sorry.  Is it a Sponge?

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I can see it being a reproduction strategy in such a simple being.

A sponge can be put through a sieve and it's cells will reorganize into smaller sponges.

I've no idea as to the species and, yes, I would gently try to remove the matrix with a pin vice, see what happens. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

43 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

A sponge can be put through a sieve and it's cells will reorganize into smaller sponges

Yea, I saw that episode of SpongeBob SquarePants too.:oyh:

Sorry about the silly questions guys.  I freely admit "I don't know diddly nor squat" about sponges.  Except SpongeBob because I had to sit through so many episodes with the Grand Kids over the years.  I assume you did as well, right Grandpa? LOL

Rockwood, thanks for putting your response in layman's terms.  I only have about 5-10 sponges in my entire collection because I don't understand them or the varieties.

Tidgy' dad, Thanks for the advice on further detailing, I always wondered what was in there... 

6 hours ago, grandpa said:

Yea, I saw that episode of SpongeBob SquarePants too.:oyh:

What I saw was a video of the actual experiment in condensed time.

I doubt Mr. Green Jeans could have pulled that one off.

Well, I guess I CAN move this from the unidentified draw to a display shelf after all.  Thanks so much for your time and patience.  Opps, Did I say display shelf...…  Don't have any with room on them and the missus won't let me start another.  Hummmmmm, this action may require some strategic planning.  I may have to contact Mr. Green Jeans for advice;)

If you're planning on scraping off some matrix, then look through the microscope to see if you can discover any spicules. For one thing, this would confirm the id as sponge and they can apparently also be helpful with identification altogether.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 4:53 AM, Ludwigia said:

If you're planning on scraping off some matrix, then look through the microscope to see if you can discover any spicules. For one thing, this would confirm the id as sponge and they can apparently also be helpful with identification altogether.

Ludwidia, I don't have an electron microscope or even a decent microscope to assist in the confirmation of spicules in the matrix.  So, I may just have to resign myself to the fact that it will remain an unidentified species of sponge.  Thanks again.  

2 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Ludwidia, I don't have an electron microscope or even a decent microscope to assist in the confirmation of spicules in the matrix.  So, I may just have to resign myself to the fact that it will remain an unidentified species of sponge.  Thanks again.  

Spicules are not necessarily that small. I have a few sponges and I can see detail with just a 20X loop magnifier.

• I found this Informative 3

The specimen looks like a aponge to me also, so I'm in the camp of those who have the same feeling.:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Ok  folks.  The matrix was too hard for me to get out with a pick and my dremel tool is too wide to fit into the aperture.  So, I did the next best thing and took some close up photos of the maxtix contents.  Hope this helps those interested in the matrix.

DSCN4190 (2).JPG

DSCN4192 (2).JPG

DSCN4193 (2).JPG

DSCN4196 (2).JPG

Found its double here in the Devonian rocks of New York. I thought at first that it was a crinoid calyx as well. It turned out to be the heavily mineralized section of an exploded nautiloid shell. I think you have the same type of fossil here.  

0003.JPG

0004.JPG

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png