The Jersey Devil

Strong 1/4 inch mesh screen

The Jersey Devil

Hello everyone, my sifter's 1/4 inch mesh screen has been tearing apart lately and I would like to ask the forum for suggestions for types of 1/4 " steel mesh that they have found to be strong and durable from experience.

I appreciate any help,

Joseph

Darktooth

I get mine from Ace Hardware. It is the only place in the area that sells it. I have not had any problems with it tearing. But I am sure that it depends on the amount of use it gets.

The Jersey Devil
55 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I get mine from Ace Hardware. It is the only place in the area that sells it. I have not had any problems with it tearing. But I am sure that it depends on the amount of use it gets.

Thanks Dave! I’ll definitely check them out.

Darktooth

No problem!;) They carry everything from regular window mesh up to half inch, in case you want other sizes. They also sell furring strips which is what I build my sifters out of.

caldigger

The best to use for shifters would be woven steel mesh. Usually a bit on the expensive side though.

The stuff that most places sell for animal containment that is just not made to hold up to constant abuse. At least not like I put it through.

Darktooth
47 minutes ago, grandpa said:

I have always used hardware cloth in 3 sizes:

1/2 x 1/2" 19 guage

1/4 x 1/4" 23 guage

1/8 x 1/8" 27 guage

These are available at all big-box hardware stores (including Ace) as well as the on-line store - you know, the one that is fast on its way to owning all the world's wealth.

Final screening with some left-over window screen I happen to have, then to my wife's nylon hose if sifting for micros (BTW, be sure and ask first for her old discarded hose.  Doing otherwise can be TROUBLE!!):DOH:

Hardware cloth is the name of the material I get from Ace.

Sacha

The stuff I get from Lowes in 1/4 and 1/2 seems to last forever at least in Florida river and gulf coast sifting.

The Jersey Devil

Thanks everyone!

Shellseeker

I am destructive on all my equipment.

I purchase precut Stainless Steel wire mesh 2x3 foot at $37 each and then build a sieve around it. The online company is Pegasus,  It lasts

caldigger
17 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I purchase precut Stainless Steel wire mesh 2x3 foot at $37 each and then build a sieve around it. The online company is Pegasus,  It lasts

That would be the woven wire mesh I was speaking of.

sixgill pete
On 12/2/2019 at 1:13 PM, Shellseeker said:

Jack  can you PM me a link to their website?

Shellseeker
36 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

Jack  can you PM me a link to their website?

PM Sent....

hokietech96

I bought a roll of 1/4 screen from home depot and it has held up pretty well.

Bob Saunders

I just bought a 1/4 inch hardware cloth 24" wide by 5 feet for $5.99 at Blain's Farm and Fleet. since I am screening sand I will double layer one for smaller grids. They did not have 1/8th. I also have a series of round test sieves from a grain elevator that go to very fine. auto paint suppliers sell disposable filters for before mixing paints with thinner. 

Scylla

My favorite are discarded trays for sterilizing surgical instruments. Heavy duty stainless steel woven wire. You can Google sterilization trays and see some options. This is how they look. side-perforated-wire-basket.jpg.a3ea355d597f831807b537d6860edd49.jpg