Myrtle Beach bramble shark?

Jim Kovalchick

Over the holiday I examined some fossils found by my wife at Myrtle Beach over the last couple months. Here is one that I first thought was a cow shark tooth. Now I'm wondering if it is really a bramble shark tooth. The root is obviously gone. Could I get some opinions please? If this is a bramble, is it rarer than a cow? I already thought it was a decent find, but is it even more special?

20190826_203035(1).jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Try

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=leecreek/sp_shrk1.html&menu=bin/menu_leecreek-alt.html

http://aurorafossilmuseum.org/post/17/shark-tooth-identification.html

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/species-profiles/echinorhinus-brucus/

" Dentition
The multicuspid teeth are similar in both jaws. Each is strongly compressed with a single cusp and up to three cusplets. These cusplets are lacking in juveniles. The teeth are curved toward the corners of the jaws, forming a cutting blade. The upper jaw contains 20-26 teeth while the lower jaw has 22-26 teeth. "

And finally from our own TFF:  

I think NOT Bramble Shark -  too many cuspids for one thiing.

• I found this Informative 3

Yeah, that looks like a partial Notorynchus lower anterlateral tooth.  There's a chance it's a Hexanchus but Notorynchus is more likely.

Ok. Thanks for responses. 

I saw some similarity to this picture of a modern bramble but I see that there are enough cow variants to classify it that way.

20191201_204236.jpg

It is always tough to id a shark tooth from pictures especially a broken/damaged tooth.  However the unique features of your tooth do allow a reasonable id.  The mesial cusplets of your tooth really help with an id.  Your tooth is definitely not a bramble shark tooth.  The mesial cusplets also seem to rule out a sixgill shark (Hexanchus sp.) tooth (see the pictures below of the dentitions of the extant Hexanchus griseus and Hexanchus nakamurai sharks from J-elasmo) .  Based upon the mesial cusplets, it looks like a sevengill shark tooth.  The cusplets actually look more like a Heptranchias (see the picture below from Bass 1975) but the widths of the 3 cones look much more like a Notorynchus (see the picture below of the extant Notorynchus cepedianus jaw from elasmo.com).  So I agree with a Notorynchus id but I believe it is more likely to be an upper tooth.

Hexanchus griseus

5de4846c6b7e3_HexanchusgriseusKagurazameBluntnosesixgillshark.thumb.jpg.f3d0a11a43dab2125d24eed249511b48.jpg

Hexanchus nakamurai

5de4846ed1c39_HexanchusnakamuraiSirokagurazameBigeyesixgillshark.thumb.jpg.c5a7fd078d7e1d452ef1e65080b0f299.jpg

Heptranchias perlo

5de481676d9f3_HperlofromBassetal001(1).thumb.jpg.edafa142a3fe7aed6cdd0ef02cd85c07.jpg

Notorynchus cepedianus

5de487be4f1ac_notorynchuscepedianus-dent.jpg.5093c69c460a541c50691f01b8aa925a.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png