Sunshine and friends on the Peace River

Shellseeker

On Saturday, I met up with two TFF members for a hunt on the Peace River. It was cool (cold) at 8 am, especially in the shade, but the best fossil location was in the shade.

While many fossil hunters have certain qualifications for "keepers", I keep almost everything, especially a fragment that I can not ID. I also keep a lot of fossils (like turtle) that many hunters toss.

Weather wise, we had a fantastic day. Especially when the sun warmed up and covered out hunting location... the wet suits came off.

Here is a photo of some of my finds:

At first,  I thought upper_right would be my Find of the day...but there is something else,  very interesting in this photo....

IMG_1567.thumb.JPEG.a4873b01ed736d7a0227baa6fe7f2c3e.JPEG

Strawberry.JPG.a540e196546748db8889ae9bf91e735a.JPG

The above photo is a Glyptodon scute, that Strongly resembles a strawberry. It only has TWO !!!! connection points to other scutes. I have never seen another like it , and I have seen plenty of Glyptodon tail scutes. So I will be searching Glyptodon for this scute --- Help me find it.!!!!

EarboneCrop.JPG.1558e3f65fdc8edc78772e1aca86ca13.JPG

And this is an earbone... I think I know, but whose ??

There are many "common" fossils in the 1st photo.  Can anyone Identify all the fossils in the photo?

Saturday was a great day.  Great variation in finds. I went again today, In addition to back pain, I only found ray, barracuda, and shark teeth.. Best find was a 1.4 inch hemipristis.. Today was overcast ,and chilly. It was also a great day.  I was on the Peace River.

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

So I will be searching Glyptodon for this scute --- Help me find it.!!!!

So cool ... Man, those things are so easily missed. I can't imagine I would have spotted it.  Have you seen these tail ring casts ? From Glyptodon clavipes (Uruguay) I wish I could find better turn-arounds online.

Congrats !!

glyptodon_clavipes_cast_sm_tail_ring.jpg.2d827ee67ec99bfe401edae6ac8518bb.jpgglyptodon_clavipes_cast_lg_tail_ring.jpg.448ec5911d808bf114bbfc07daaa6bb1.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

10 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

So cool ... Man, those things are so easily missed. I can't imagine I would have spotted it.  Have you seen these tail ring casts ? From Glyptodon clavipes (Uruguay) I wish I could find better turn-arounds online.

Congrats !!

Thats IT !!!! THATS IT... you found it,  the pointy scutes around the ring!!! Nice.  You know, it is amazing that you say that.... I had searched the sieve and was about to dump it  .. I could not believe I could miss a fossil that large and obvious....

I mentioned it to my hunting friends!!!   Thanks Brett

Blow_upGlyptoscute.JPG.02ffd3f6d44163909d6be2d9fc33ddad.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I mentioned it to my hunting friends!!!   Thanks Brett

No worries .. definitely a trip-maker in my book too.

Good Luck out there ...

B

Man... that Peace River has some amazing stuff! Nice finds. :) 

I need to get down there one day! I can’t find these types of fossils in my area so even the common fossils would be keepers. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Man... that Peace River has some amazing stuff! Nice finds. :) 

I need to get down there one day! I can’t find these types of fossils in my area so even the common fossils would be keepers. 

Exactly true.  I feel blessed. The Peace river preserves fossils in mud, clay, sand which is why is not damage to a fossil like this Glyptodon "ring" Osteoderm.

Adding a photo that Identifies most of the more common finds.

GroupPhoto_tagged.thumb.jpg.5fb422b4c414e5c8268aaeea4ff05f44.jpg

That leaves four fossils un_identified.  I "think" I know what they are , although I have never found them previously.  I am seeking some TFF experts who absolutely know what they are. 

Jack

• I found this Informative 1

GroupShot.JPG.55c101f009bffa13181628a127406ad5.JPG

Over the last 3-4 days, I have searched TFF and the web for what are the 3 bone pieces.  There is also an odd horse_like tooth.  Late Sunday , I decided it could only be the alveoli of a jaw. It is bone, what else is possible? 

Then I found this on etsy looking for fossil jaws of large animals. Immediately obvious , how did it take so long? Glyptodon, I am used to finding the osteoderms.

EtsyGlyptodonMandible3.thumb.jpg.aca4330035306e16bdb70d1b4430f4c9.jpg

I can not quite get the puzzle pieces together but it is close.  Have to see if I can find a little bit more... This is a very rare find, only my 2nd in 12 years. :megdance:GlyptodonTooth_jaw3nice.JPG.bd2254f3cef1518db47e444d457beeaa.JPG

24 minutes ago, PrehistoricFlorida said:

@Shellseeker I agree the jaw fragments appear to be glyptodon (capybara is another candidate). However, the tooth contains enamel and thus is obviously not glyptodon. 

Good Catch, and pretty obvious when you think about it.  We were finding fragments of Capybara molars at the site.

Now I am confused... it is difficult to believe it to be Equus, but right now I do not have other candidates in mind.

GlyptodonTooth1.JPG.f850b7bb1f52bff27bc10def79e6971a.JPGGlyptodonTooth_jaw1.JPG.d6ccab236a5cc4cca4f6da17e5e2a15a.JPGGlyptodonTooth4.JPG.de7a43e48a6c8c911dc5236c816c77a8.JPGGlyptodonTooth5.JPG.f310afc1eaa52f6876567dd8187d5688.JPGGlyptodonTooth7edge.JPG.b8122e880eaa1d0017abfc5cc3ef5669.JPG