Fossilized reptile Egg?

Tlauby

Hi,

I grew up in Nebraska and somewhere or another I found this stone. We used to find lots of Mastodon Teeth, Camel teeth etc. in the Platte River Valley. And I know Nebraska was an ocean a long long time ago so occasionally we'd come across Megalodon teeth as well. I found this though.

The backside is very smooth and round, it has what looks to be a well defined yolk like interior and what looks to my untrained eye to be a cross section of a small skull/cranium with beak like end.
I would like to know if this is what I think it is.

20191126_144320.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I think this may be a piece of agate. Yolk would not fossilize, and fossil egg shells generally will have some form of exterior texture that is relatively distinct.

Have a look through our "egg"-cellent guides on fossil eggs here: 

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

If it is an egg, it was prepared over easy! :default_rofl:

Seriously though, I don't believe there are any meg teeth to be found in Nebraska...

1 hour ago, facehugger said:

If it is an egg, it was prepared over easy! :default_rofl:

Seriously though, I don't believe there are any meg teeth to be found in Nebraska...

Agree no megs but please post the shark teeth you did find in Nebraska.

I'm looking through the egg identification and I found this chart.

The thing in the center of this stone/egg just looks so much like the cross section of a lizard cranium. Is it possible to have it imaged with like a CAT scan?

image.png.8073b7c9fbbb9255d510e9167cde973f.png

• I found this Informative 1

It would be possible, I suppose. 

But it would be an expensive way of proving you have a piece of cryptocrystalline or microcrystalline quartz, in my opinion.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

chert nodule.  Not an egg.  CT scanning is often not cheap, but your local hospital might be willing to do it for free during a slow session.

My oh-so-slightly educated guess would be that it is indeed chert. That said, your comment about the "lizard cranium" has me thinking. What I'm thinking about is how once we see these forms, we can't unsee them. That really does look like a reptilian head poking out through some sort of membrane. Like Porky Pig poking his head through a frame on the TV, saying, "That's all folks".

From the sounds of it, and probably the scale as well, the odds are astronomically against it being such a thing. Still, I can't unsee it. So without a doubt, it is a pretty cool piece of stone. I like it. Good luck.