connorp

This nodule split a while ago. At first I thought it was just a neat looking dud, but after looking closer there appear to be faint radiating lines on the specimen which makes me think it might be plant material, although I have no idea what exactly. Any ideas?

39E746C2-811B-44FC-AF62-4DD129B670B7.thumb.jpeg.6dba513ef725e03d1096b41e4ffb3182.jpeg

148FCD37-FC88-425C-B1BB-B152DA74A543.thumb.jpeg.9ed85a75bc40a118873e2843e46ebe8d.jpeg

I am pretty sure that is just mineralization.

I find quite a few specimens like that with very similar preservation.

• I found this Informative 2

It looks like faint plant preservation, but I agree with Rob that it is not a fossil. I also run into a number of concretions that look like this and I just dump them- this is always an issue with Mazon Creek concretions.

• I found this Informative 1

That's a fossil. Not well preserved, but a fossil. I have many with that "mound" type of preservation and it's usually a small -- less than 1" diameter -- single, nearly circular basal pinnule of a Macroneuropteris. I have seen other species with this pedestal type of preservation including various fragments of larger things. Normally I would also dump a specimen this poorly preserved if it were not for the type of mound/pedestal preservation, which I believe in itself is a collectible byproduct of the MC biota, and its cause begs study.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

My guess is a poorly preserved plant part.  I usually dump these at Braceville.  As Mark said, I have seen some nice Macroneuropteris orbicular pinnules preserved this way.

Cheers,

Rich