My Eastern USA (mostly New Jersey) finds

frankh8147

Hello all!

I recently rearranged my collection so I figured this would be a good time to show some fossils!

I usually hang-out in the New Jersey Cretaceous but I have been collecting fossils for over 25 years and have found some pretty cool specimens of creatures from many different eras, That said, my collection is mainly focused on the New Jersey Cretaceous, so let's start there.

These are my displays for New Jersey Cretaceous non-reptile fossils. My favorites aren't actually fossils at all but rather casts of some of my favorite finds. The crab, Costadromia Hajzeri is the earlies known sponge crab and was named after me. The lungfish cast is of one of two specimens of late Cretaceous lungfish found from New Jersey (probable new species based on time period and 'crushing' element of teeth. The big Xiphactinus tooth is another of my favorite finds along with the echinoids and Menunites ammonite (pictured).

best1.jpg

bestcasts.jpg

bestcollcloseup.jpg

bestechinoids.jpg

bestmenunites.jpg

cretshellcase.jpg

cretshellcase2.jpg

pyritegastropod.jpg

• I found this Informative 17
  • Enjoyed 4

Next is my Mosasaur collection. The jaw is a 'Frankenjaw' which was put together from three pieces I found in the same area (picture below) but was told they probably aren't from the same animal. The big bone in the back was identified as fused bones of a partial Mosasaur brain case. The specimens in the back left are tooth sockets; back right are verts.

mosjaw.jpg

mosjawsections.jpg

mosoverview.jpg

mossssss1.jpg

• I found this Informative 12
  • Enjoyed 2

Next is my shark teeth. The Cretaceous are from mainly from Big Brook and Raminessin; the Miocene are mostly from Brownies Beach, Maryland.

shark.jpg

• I found this Informative 10
  • Enjoyed 2

Here are my other reptile fossils. The rib bone was identified as being dinosaur (probably Hadrosaur). I think my favorite here though is the best Plesiosaur vert.

reptile1.jpg

reptiledinobone.jpg

• I found this Informative 12
  • Enjoyed 1

Here are my favorite miscellaneous finds. I have them semi-organized but it's still kind of a mess so if you have any questions, let me know! My favorites here are the large artifact with druzy crystal inclusions, the Coelacanth, and the Triassic reptile trackway which I found in Eastern Pennsylvania.

arrowhead display.jpg

arrowhead back of display.jpg

arrowhead best specimen.jpg

arrowhead coelocanth.jpg

misclast1.jpg

misclast3.jpg

mislast2.jpg

tracksBEST1AAAAA.jpg

track1.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

And finally, here are some view of my entire collection.

I want to thank my brothers, Shane and Dylan who have donated to my collection and my digging buddies who have given fossils which are now in the main part of my house.

Note: I try to do my best to identify fossils and most of the more important finds have been looked at by professionals but of course, everything is up to interpretation so if you have any questions or question any particular ID, feel free to send me a message. Thanks everyone!

-Frank

overlook1.jpg

overlook2.jpg

overlook3.jpg

• I found this Informative 10
  • Enjoyed 3

Wow Frank! I was fortunate to be able to see most of this in person, but I'm still awed by what you have- certainly one of the largest collections of New Jersey Cretaceous vertebrates that's out there. One should be reminded that some of your best and rarest specimens you've donated. That plesiosaur vert is definitely spectacular. I also appreciate your Paleocene brachiopods and those pearls. I believe all of it you personally collected. I was there when you found some of them. Congratulations.

• I found this Informative 1

Wow! 

Congratulations on..............Well, too many things to mention, really. 

But the Palaeocene brachiopods are my faves.:wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Truly a great collection Frank! You should be proud of all the wonderful things you have found over the years! Thank-you for sharing this with us!:default_clap2:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Wow Frank! I was fortunate to be able to see most of this in person, but I'm still awed by what you have- certainly one of the largest collections of New Jersey Cretaceous vertebrates that's out there. One should be reminded that some of your best and rarest specimens you've donated. That plesiosaur vert is definitely spectacular. I also appreciate your Paleocene brachiopods and those pearls. I believe all of it you personally collected. I was there when you found some of them. Congratulations.

You were there when I found a lot of them! I have to admit, I haven't been to the Paleocene spot in over a year; that spot is... Horrible, but I'm glad you decided to join me for a dig there! I'm looking forward to some winter digs (at other locations) in the near future! :)

25 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

That's a very nice regional collection and well organized as well! Thanks for sharing. I guess you donated the sponge crab, didn't you?

Yes I did! I donated the lungfish too along with another two or three dozen other fossils to different institutions.

Other than that 'moment' that you know you found a possibly significant fossil, my favorite part of amateur Paleontology is donating them to my friends at the museums.

• I found this Informative 2

Fantastic collection. I am interested in more information on what I took to be pearls in your first picture 2nd down from the top on the far right. I note that Jeffrey P mentions pearls so I assume those are the ones (and only ones?) They look like free standing ones not blister pearls? What where they found in association with? Are they black in color? Cretaceous? Size? Could we see a picture of them?

I do a talk on Predation, Protection and Cooperation using fossil and modern pearls. I have Miocene blister pearls in a gooeyduck and a blister pearl in a Quahog, an oyster and in an American cockle. Thanks for your consideration.

Your collection is amazing! :default_faint:

I especially like how you have it organized. I typically only show off a few of my fossils with many being hidden away in organized drawers or boxes. After seeing how you have so many, in a small space, so well organized, I'm going to bring mine out into the light! Thanks for for showing off your wonderful collection and inspiring me! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Awesome collection. It is good to see another New Jersey collector out there finding such great stuff.  Also glad you have donated such significant finds to museums.

Wow, what a great collection.  I love seeing what other cretaceous exposures produce since that is what I mainly hunt in my area.  My hat's off to you for your great organization and presentation, AND for your generous contributions to museums for many to enjoy.  :default_clap2:

Awesome collection Frank! I especially love the two mosasaur jaw bones with teeth still in them, those seem to be very elusive around here.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I really like how neat and organized everything is. There is so much to look at, but I think my favorite display of all is the shark teeth. All the different colors of teeth are just amazing!

12 hours ago, fossilnut said:

Fantastic collection. I am interested in more information on what I took to be pearls in your first picture 2nd down from the top on the far right. I note that Jeffrey P mentions pearls so I assume those are the ones (and only ones?) They look like free standing ones not blister pearls? What where they found in association with? Are they black in color? Cretaceous? Size? Could we see a picture of them?

I do a talk on Predation, Protection and Cooperation using fossil and modern pearls. I have Miocene blister pearls in a gooeyduck and a blister pearl in a Quahog, an oyster and in an American cockle. Thanks for your consideration.

The only Cretaceous pearls we know 100% are the blister pearls (like the one below). We do believe those two are but it's hard to prove (only one of those is mine - the other one is here for study and comparison). They are on some threads here on the forum but I'll get some pictures for you later today. They are dark blue in color and similar to what I see from the Eagle Ford of Texas.

20191204_072449.jpg

Super nice collection and very well organized.  That's what I should have done also.  But I waited (too long) until now to try and organize it as you have done.  Fantastic. 

Hey Frank,

would you mind grabbing a couple pics of the tooth I circled in red? It might be something interesting. The circle might be hard to see, it is toward the left middle of the pic.

Thanks,

joseph

21C07BA4-28F8-441D-8311-A15CE79705D3.jpeg

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

On 12/4/2019 at 4:04 PM, The Jersey Devil said:

Hey Frank,

would you mind grabbing a couple pics of the tooth I circled in red? It might be something interesting. The circle might be hard to see, it is toward the left middle of the pic.

Thanks,

joseph

21C07BA4-28F8-441D-8311-A15CE79705D3.jpeg

Here it is Joe. My shark teeth do tend to get neglected (comparatively) when it comes to ID so if it's anything good, let me know!

20191204_164837.jpg