My Eastern USA (mostly New Jersey) finds

frankh8147

20 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Your collection is amazing! :default_faint:

I especially like how you have it organized. I typically only show off a few of my fossils with many being hidden away in organized drawers or boxes. After seeing how you have so many, in a small space, so well organized, I'm going to bring mine out into the light! Thanks for for showing off your wonderful collection and inspiring me! :) 

That's really cool to hear! When you finish, let me know if you end up posting any pictures of it!

• I found this Informative 1

That is an impressive, well organized and even artful collection. Now I have to hang my head in shame when looking at my overcrowded shelves. Thanks for posting anyway. Well done!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Here it is Joe. My shark teeth do tend to get neglected (comparatively) when it comes to ID so if it's anything good, let me know!

20191204_164837.jpg

Never mind, it appears to be a goblin. However, you do have a rare NJ shark tooth in there right below the Squalicorax/Ammonite combo and right above the piece of cartilage. It is a lateral Serratolamna serrata.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

2 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Never mind, it appears to be a goblin. However, you do have a rare NJ shark tooth in there right below the Squalicorax/Ammonite combo and right above the piece of cartilage. It is a lateral Serratolamna serrata.

No problem!  I took a look and agree on Serrartolamna,

23 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

That is an impressive, well organized and even artful collection. Now I have to hang my head in shame when looking at my overcrowded shelves. Thanks for posting anyway. Well done!

Interestingly, I think this is the first time that anything I've done has been referred to as 'artful'.. I hear the word 'mess' a lot, so thank you! Haha :)

On 12/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, frankh8147 said:

Next is my Mosasaur collection. The jaw is a 'Frankenjaw' which was put together from three pieces I found in the same area (picture below) but was told they probably aren't from the same animal. The big bone in the back was identified as fused bones of a partial Mosasaur brain case. The specimens in the back left are tooth sockets; back right are verts.

mosjawsections.jpg

19 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Awesome collection Frank! I especially love the two mosasaur jaw bones with teeth still in them, those seem to be very elusive around here.

Oops I didn't notice you said that was a "franken jaw". Did you place appropriately sized teeth into the sockets? That is a cool idea.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Great collection, Frank!

Thanks for showing us! :) 

:wub: 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, frankh8147 said:

That's really cool to hear! When you finish, let me know if you end up posting any pictures of it!

Will do! I have some repurposed glass retail display cases that I’m going to fill up. I’ll let you know. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

12 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Oops I didn't notice you said that was a "franken jaw". Did you place appropriately sized teeth into the sockets? That is a cool idea.

Funny story, these are all from the same small area (two of the sockets were from the same hole) so originally, I was thinking they actually were associated and reached out to other collectors. 

I was told they most likely aren't from the same animal and was disappointed at first but then I realized - this really isn't too bad! If they were associated, I would've donated it but being that it has almost zero scientific significance, it might as well be a centerpiece display for my own little 'museum'!

mosjaw.thumb.jpg.c387d8668f38544bc97781a3ae9c0080.jpg

20191119_135228.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

On 12/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, FossilNerd said:

Will do! I have some repurposed glass retail display cases that I’m going to fill up. I’ll let you know. :) 

Sounds good!!

• 1 month later...

Some of the Plesiosaur and Pachyrhizodus teeth are Xiphactinus 

11 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Some of the Plesiosaur and Pachyrhizodus teeth are Xiphactinus 

Hmm which ones? Two of the three plesis were posted in fossil ID threads and looked at by professionals and some of our friends here in person. The one to the right was always suspect though - it doesn't have any cutting edges and fluting so that's why everyone went with Plesi ( although stream wear always made me guess about that one). 

As per the Pachyrhizodus - let me know which ones you are looking at and I'll check for fluting tonight.

8 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Hmm which ones? Two of the three plesis were posted in fossil ID threads and looked at by professionals and some of our friends here in person. The one to the right was always suspect though - it doesn't have any cutting edges and fluting so that's why everyone went with Plesi ( although stream wear always made me guess about that one). 

As per the Pachyrhizodus - let me know which ones you are looking at and I'll check for fluting tonight.

Yeah, the rightmost Plesiosaur looks suspiciously like Xiphactinus.

The second Pachyrhizodus tooth from the left I am confident is Xiphactinus.

2 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Yeah, the rightmost Plesiosaur looks suspiciously like Xiphactinus.

The second Pachyrhizodus tooth from the left I am confident is Xiphactinus.

I figured that was the one you were talking about, I'll try to remember to show you it In person one day.

I'll take a look today at the other one too. Hopefully it shows some fluting - i have just enough room for it with my Xiphactinus teeth :)

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, frankh8147 said:

Next is my Mosasaur collection. The jaw is a 'Frankenjaw' which was put together from three pieces I found in the same area (picture below) but was told they probably aren't from the same animal. The big bone in the back was identified as fused bones of a partial Mosasaur brain case. The specimens in the back left are tooth sockets; back right are verts.

mossssss1.jpg

Boy! That's an impressive collection of mosasaur material! Now why couldn't I'm just live in an area where the can be found? I'd be out searching every weekend :envy:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thank you for showing your collection.  I know that it takes time and effort to research, organize, and catalog everything.  I certainly appreciate that you also photographed and uploaded it to the forum because I learned from it and it's an awesome collection (go NJ!) that should be seen.  I have some OK NJ stuff in a single cabinet that gets no love other than when I stare at it through the glass... My kids are often like, "Dad, Mom is staring at her rocks again."  Cheers!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks everyone! This is a decently old post (and honestly, I've had 2 of my 3 best years in the streams since then) so I'll most likely give updated pictures towards the end of the year.

Thanks again! 

Frank

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, frankh8147 said:

mosjaw.jpg  mosjawsections.jpg  mossssss1.jpg

Were these mosasaur teeth found in Big Brook as well ?

• Enjoyed 1

Big Brook and Raminessin. That's such an outdated photo though; here an updated photo of my Mosasaur stuff (Mosasaus are one of my areas of interest, I'll do or get involved in a study on New Jersey specimens...one day!) @Joebiwan3

304385649_20210802_1255082.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

:drool:

You're so lucky to have found such a wealth of mosasaur material! I could only dream of building such a collection! :o

Please do let us know if you ever do get involved with that publication, as I, for one, would be very interested in reading it! :Smiling:

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 8/2/2021 at 1:10 PM, frankh8147 said:

Big Brook and Raminessin. That's such an outdated photo though; here an updated photo of my Mosasaur stuff (Mosasaus are one of my areas of interest, I'll do or get involved in a study on New Jersey specimens...one day!) @Joebiwan3

304385649_20210802_1255082.jpg

Wow thats alot of mosasaur material! Ive been collecting dinosaur material from all over the world for many years now just via online sellers and from contacts ive made over the years but i live in NJ and only recently started taking trips to big brook with a friend of mine and we've been sifting and mostly finding a ton of the common shark teeth. Any pointers or good spots in the brook that you know of that yield good results? 

• Thank You 1