My Eastern USA (mostly New Jersey) finds

frankh8147

On 8/3/2021 at 11:20 PM, Joebiwan3 said:

Wow thats alot of mosasaur material! Ive been collecting dinosaur material from all over the world for many years now just via online sellers and from contacts ive made over the years but i live in NJ and only recently started taking trips to big brook with a friend of mine and we've been sifting and mostly finding a ton of the common shark teeth. Any pointers or good spots in the brook that you know of that yield good results? 

Thank you! Really, there is no hot spot. My recommendation for hunting Big Brook would be to research as much as you can (this website is a great source for that) because there are a lot better things to found there than Mosasaur teeth and if you happen to notice some subtle thing others might not, you can do very well there!

• Thank You 1

• 3 months later...

@frankh8147 that’s some really neat stuff!!! Especially the mosasaur material. One thing I didn’t see but that was alluded to, the finds that you donated? If you don’t mind, I and I’m sure others would enjoy seeing just a list of finds you’ve donated, or even pics you took of them if you have any! If your personal collection is this nice, I can’t even imagine the finds you donated :o

On 11/24/2021 at 12:16 AM, fossil_lover_2277 said:

@frankh8147 that’s some really neat stuff!!! Especially the mosasaur material. One thing I didn’t see but that was alluded to, the finds that you donated? If you don’t mind, I and I’m sure others would enjoy seeing just a list of finds you’ve donated, or even pics you took of them if you have any! If your personal collection is this nice, I can’t even imagine the finds you donated :o

I'm going to post updated pictures of them and my collection in general after a few studies come out but here are some I can list (let's see how good my memory is!)

Costadromia Hajzeri (earliest known sponge crab), one of two late Cretaceous lungfish toothplates, Squatina vertebrate with prismatic cartilage, Kirkwood fetal baleen whale squamosal, Hybodont tooth and spine group, about a dozen or so unusual coprilites, Mosasaur brain case section, Lopha panda from NJ Cretaceous, many Wenonah bivalves (study to come), large group of Exogyras from an unusual formation in South Jersey, a nice array of fossils from group digs in sensitive areas such as the Pinna Layer and Merchantville, a few Wenonah ammonites, and that's what comes to mind right now:)

Edited by frankh8147
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I'm going to post updated pictures of them and my collection in general after a few studies come out but here are some I can list (let's see how good my memory is!)

Costadromia Hajzeri (earliest known sponge crab), one of two late Cretaceous lungfish toothplates, Squatina vertebrate with prismatic cartilage, Kirkwood fetal baleen whale squamosal, Hybodont tooth and spine group, about a dozen or so unusual coprilites, Mosasaur brain case section, Lopha panda from NJ Cretaceous, many Wenonah bivalves (study to come), large group of Exogyras from an unusual formation in South Jersey, a nice array of fossils from group digs in sensitive areas such as the Pinna Layer and Merchantville, a few Wenonah ammonites, and that's what comes to mind right now:)

Wow those are some super nice finds! Excited to see the pics!!!

• Thank You 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 4:51 PM, frankh8147 said:

Here are my other reptile fossils. The rib bone was identified as being dinosaur (probably Hadrosaur). I think my favorite here though is the best Plesiosaur vert.

reptile1.jpg

reptiledinobone.jpg

Those bones labeled dinosaur, a lot of them look fragmentary, how do you know they’re dinosaur? Not questioning the ID. But I have some similar bone fragments from a site here in NC known to have dinos. Some people have said the fragments look to be dinosaur, just want to know how to tell. Also, what are the finds in the KT boundary and Paleocene box? I didn’t see any species labels.