Devonian micromatrix

Misha

Conodonts are fascinating, I was always intrigued even when no one had a clue what they were. 

You've some nice specimens there. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Misha said:

I believe these first few are just some examples of the conodonts I found, I have been interested in these creatures for a while now and finally seeing them and looking for them is a great experience.

Conodonts are fascinating.  Once I found where to look, and what I was looking for, I began to find many.  What an amazing creature! 

22 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Just wanted to say, I love your blog and often refer to it for help with ids. 

That brick wall is a legend. :P

Thank you sir, I'm glad it is serving it's purpose well. I am working on some new posts and plan to start it up again in January. I need to build a buffer up some. :P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

14 hours ago, Misha said:

Today I got to explore the Eighteen mile creek limestone and I have a couple of pictures of finds from there:

Lots of Conodonts in that matrix and sometimes the odd fish tooth as well. I have found one fish tooth in the matrix and one in the screenings. If I recall correctly, I dissolved the matrix in vinegar which won't affect the phosphatized conodonts and teeth. 

I believe that most of what you have found so far falls into the Prioniodus sp. group. Not enough preserved to tell the species unfortunately.  Check out the New York Paleontology website by Dr. Kevin Wilson for pics of some of the stuff you can find in the NEL. His website is a fantastic reference for any Devonian fossils from New York and I use it frequently. 

He has a page with pics for the Ostracods that you can find in the Kashong Shale as well: Here

The Silica Shale ostracods can be identified using that above link as well but the best reference is a copy of "Strata and Megafossils of the Middle Devonian Silica Formation" which has tons of pics.

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

29 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Lots of Conodonts in that matrix and sometimes the odd fish tooth as well. I have found one fish tooth in the matrix and one in the screenings. If I recall correctly, I dissolved the matrix in vinegar which won't affect the phosphatized conodonts and teeth

Do you know what this could be?

IMG_20191204_165719.thumb.jpg.ee6eced5e86d94ef0c09769a3c70154b.jpg

3 hours ago, Misha said:

Do you know what this could be?

IMG_20191204_165719.thumb.jpg.ee6eced5e86d94ef0c09769a3c70154b.jpg

I do not, It's a little too fragmentary for me to determine what it belonged to. Maybe part of a fish tooth or a dermal scale?

-Dave

Hi guys,

I have once again spent a bit of my day looking through matrix, this time I focused on the Eighteen mile creek and have some neat finds from there.

IMG_20191205_220609.thumb.jpg.8788242cef45243a2d0cd07ad0d61c61.jpg

IMG_20191205_220654.thumb.jpg.115386e0246f8308069f2e896ed0fc3f.jpg

IMG_20191205_220757.thumb.jpg.a5b02f38cd17a909abb56104deb77339.jpg

These photos show two conodonts, the first of which was quite elongated and it surprised me that it was able to stay together even though it looks very fragile. The middle picture I think might be a fish tooth, it's very round and has an enamel like coating but I may be wrong.

These two pictures just show some groups of conodonts, the top ones I may have photographed already but I am not sure IMG_20191205_220839.thumb.jpg.cc42efb377269da3f9a68dda20da1332.jpg

IMG_20191205_220827.thumb.jpg.d432f132b3465d9f06bd3bc96dfb6bc3.jpg

Overall I am really enjoying this experience and I find it very relaxing to pick through this matrix while listening to music or an audiobook, and of course these animals are highly interesting and I love learning about them both through doing this and doing research on top of that.

11 hours ago, Misha said:

Overall I am really enjoying this experience and I find it very relaxing to pick through this matrix while listening to music or an audiobook, and of course these animals are highly interesting and I love learning about them both through doing this and doing research on top of that.

I usually pick through micro-matrix for at least a couple hours each day. I have lots of podcasts and a huge music library so I always have a soundtrack to my desktop fossil hunting. ;)

Glad you are enjoying the micro-fossil hunting. It's a specialty that more folks should try.

Cheers.

-Ken

On 12/5/2019 at 10:31 PM, Misha said:

Hi guys,

I have once again spent a bit of my day looking through matrix, this time I focused on the Eighteen mile creek and have some neat finds from there.

IMG_20191205_220654.thumb.jpg.115386e0246f8308069f2e896ed0fc3f.jpg

These photos show two conodonts, the first of which was quite elongated and it surprised me that it was able to stay together even though it looks very fragile. The middle picture I think might be a fish tooth, it's very round and has an enamel like coating but I may be wrong.

That is a fish tooth, Nice find!

-Dave