Plant, fern?

Ruger9a

Is there a way to identify this plant?  Looks like plant leaves, but I am unsure of the species.  Does anyone know?

Plant#2.JPG

20191203_163645a.jpg

Thanks Rockwood.  As always, I very much appreciate your input/knowledge.  Here are a few other photos.

Plant#2.JPG

20191203_163616.jpg

The diverging pattern in the veins is an indication for the cordiates ID.

I can't read the vein pattern in the ferns, but my sense is that they are likely pteridosperms.

• I found this Informative 1

I think Pecopteris sp. but not positive the midvein goes to the ends of the pinnules.

5de7dad8bc1fc_Plant2.JPG.1cc30f46ac5d81705366358e98f9c2a1.jpg  ferns.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

I think Pecopteris sp. but not positive the midvein goes to the ends of the pinnules.

5de7dad8bc1fc_Plant2.JPG.1cc30f46ac5d81705366358e98f9c2a1.jpg  ferns.JPG

I was just going to request a zoom in to see the pics as I couldn't see anymore detail either.

14 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

I will send a zoom in shortly.  What specific area are you interested in?

The area in the yellow box, please.

plant.jpg.cdd150bca91402076307eabbae51a91b.jpg

Sorry guys.  Went to get the closeup you requested and noticed I only have 1/2 of the fossil (to the right of your box).  I don't remember what happened to it.  Still looking for the rest of it and an explanation as to why there is only half.  Very disappointing.

Found another piece and my notes.  It arrived in many, many pieces.  I repaired what I could, but a large portion (lower left) of it couldn't be salvaged.  I can't locate the area where this piece belongs, so I'm guessing many of the cover pieces came off.  I can post the photos if you think it will help.

It's quite possible that there are multiple fern taxa on a single plate so anything that might show evidence should fly. 

56 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Wow, I did find some more of the pieces.  Here they are.

These with slightly larger pinules I think look more like pteridosperms, neuropteris being the example shown. The narrower fronds may be true ferns like pecopteris.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

These with slightly larger pinules I think look more like pteridosperms, neuropteris being the example shown. The narrower fronds may be true ferns like pecopteris.

I see what may be Mariopteris and also some Alethopteris in addition, judging by overall shape, but would need some really close up and well-focused photos to be sure. I think it's safe to say you have some very nice floor tile (think hash plate) there.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I will "try" to take some better focused, close up photos.  Any specific pieces?  On the good side, I'm happy with a hash plate containing some Mariopteris and some Alethopteris.  

Guys, I'm sorry.  I tried but the photos don't look much different.  I guess my age is catching up, so I will have someone else take them.  Thanks for your continued interest in this topic.