Fossil gift

jnicholes

Hello,

I had a brilliant Idea and I wanted to share it with you guys. Here is the rundown:

I have a good friend, (not a girlfriend,) in Utah. I want to make something for her for the holidays. I decided to try to make a necklace for her with a piece of Petrified Wood as a pendant. Attached is a picture of the piece I am using.

I thought about using one of my Gastropods as the pendant, but I passed because I only have 2 Gastropod fossils. My smallest fossil fish are too big for a necklace.

Well, that is my gift idea. I just wanted to share it. What do you guys think?

Jared

20191204_123518.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Any gift that shows thoughtfulness is a good gift. :) 

If you go the necklace route, you can choose to polish it like a cabochon or leave it as-is. To add a bit more context to the gift, perhaps add a small information sheet about petrified wood in the box.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree, it's a lovely idea, one from the heart and imagination which will surely be treasured. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for the input, guys! I really appreciate it! I'm going to have to put off making this gift, mainly due to the fact that I spent the last of my money on fixing my car which unexpectedly Had a failure. My blower motor went out. I just got it fixed.

I'm sure your friend would be touched by your thoughtful gift. Wire-wrapped pendants aren't difficult to make, though the final product certainly varies according to the skill, experience and artfulness of the maker. I've made a few that I wouldn't call artful (or skillful) but were still well-received as gifts.

One of our forum members posted this helpful "how-to" about fossil jewelry wrapping, and several members posted their own craft-work here.  You might like to give it a try sometime, even if you have to put it off for now.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

There something special about petrified wood I think and that is a nice and  colourfully piece . Like Kane said include some information about the fossil like location, age and maybe some of the critters that was around at that time and location. Having a back story really make it interesting.I think she will love it. Keep us posted when you have made the necklace. 

7 minutes ago, Joe_17 said:

My fiance made one for me a few months ago using petrified wood. I love it.

thumbnail_20191204_171821.jpg

I love it too!  A very creative gal you are set to marry. :thumbsu:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 minutes ago, Joe_17 said:

Nice tree motif too.  It looks great.

• I found this Informative 2

12 minutes ago, Joe_17 said:

Not surprised. 

The wire tree on the stone tree. 

Super. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Mrs R gave me this it is from one of my favourite poems . It is also petrified wood

That Silent Evening 

by Galway Kinnell

It is a lovely object 

20D7AE19-6AFE-4CE5-8595-4EDE416E79C5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

I was going to suggest that you might consider drilling a small hole in the piece of pet wood--requires a concrete bit and (ideally) a drill press or steady hands. That would allow you to pull a loop of the necklace material through the hole and around the piece forming a bit of a looped knot which would hold the piece securely without the added complications of trying to figure out how to wire wrap the piece.

After seeing the fantastic piece above, I am speechless--the talent and creativity of some folks boggles the mind. Does your fiance have a sister? :P

Cheers.

-Ken

14 minutes ago, digit said:

I was going to suggest that you might consider drilling a small hole in the piece of pet wood--requires a concrete bit and (ideally) a drill press or steady hands. That would allow you to pull a loop of the necklace material through the hole and around the piece forming a bit of a looped knot which would hold the piece securely without the added complications of trying to figure out how to wire wrap the piece.

After seeing the fantastic piece above, I am speechless--the talent and creativity of some folks boggles the mind. Does your fiance have a sister? :P

Cheers.

-Ken

LOL yes she does but they're married or with someone :P .

I have made a couple of wire wrapped necklaces. One using a small brachiopod and another using an artifact (Native American point). Both were rather simple to make. I used a thin strip of leather for the necklace and very thin copper wire to wrap the piece and make a loop. A pair of needle nose pliers is about all you need tool wise. Nothing to the level of @Joe_17 fiancé, but they turned out ok.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Good grief! I went out to run errands and just now checked my messages. I didn't expect this many!

I am getting the chain tonight, then I will assemble the necklace and mail it off. Will post pictures when I am done.

Apparently it's a topic that interests people!

I like the wire wrapping idea, being non-invasive on whatever fossil you use. I've never done any of that myself but have seen some nice examples (like the tree above).

Very nice!  :thumbsu:

I've made a fossil sea urchin necklace for my wife with a silver wire wrap on a leather thong... and a fossil shark teeth earrings on studs (super easy).

3 hours ago, aplomado said:

Very nice!  :thumbsu:

I've made a fossil sea urchin necklace for my wife with a silver wire wrap on a leather thong... and a fossil shark teeth earrings on studs (super easy).

Fossil earrings? That's a great idea! Why didn't I think of that! I'll have to try that to go with the necklace!

Speaking of the necklace, I lost that piece of petrified wood.  I think it fell off the counter and landed somewhere. Well, at least I have spare pieces! It's pretty plentiful in my collection.

2 hours ago, jnicholes said:

Fossil earrings? That's a great idea! Why didn't I think of that! I'll have to try that to go with the necklace!

Just use a dab of E6000 jewelry glue to attach the teeth to stud earring findings... I got sterling ones at Hobby lobby for a few dollars.

• 2 weeks later...