Possible whale skull

mamlambo

Sure does to me! :default_faint:

lets see what @Boesse has to say.

Looks like front of the skull is at the bottom of the picture, base at the top. 

Looks like soft rock that might benefit from a plaster jacket?

Looks like a large toothed (Odontocete) skull.

hope the tide is kind to it, but it has lasted so far :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 6

Very cool! :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

It's 4:21am now, on my way to go and rescue it before it gets smashed against the cliffs by the tides :) I will post an update as soon as I get back. Thanks for everyone's help with the IDing of it!

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, mamlambo said:

It's 4:21am now, on my way to go and rescue it before it gets smashed against the cliffs by the tides :) I will post an update as soon as I get back. Thanks for everyone's help with the IDing of it!

Hope you can refind it!

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Got it! What an adventure that was! Couldn't find it at first and the sand level was much higher, then my cart broke halfway up the cliff (someone's welds were a bit shallow) so had to drag / carry it the rest of the way. And steps... so many steps...

I almost thought I was not going to make it at one point, and would have to hide it in the bush, but then I drank some water and had a snack and felt much better about my prospects :)

The Canterbury museum emailed me back and also confirmed it to be a baleen whale skull or part thereof.

Took quite a bit of footage so will make it into a video.

Now to see if I can get it into the lounge as a conversation piece :)

49174950526_a1a39f8c7f_k.jpg

49175165477_669a13ebb8_k.jpg

49174460963_43e6f38d20_k.jpg

49175167307_451b229cb3_k.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

You have the same disregard for your vehicle's interior as I did for mine when I was out collecting. Congratulations on your find.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

13 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

You have the same disregard for your vehicle's interior as I did for mine when I was out collecting. Congratulations on your find.

:) I'm going to have to spend some time vacuuming it! Small price to pay though.

• I found this Informative 1

33 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Whale skulls are cool, but fossils of any kind dirtying up the back seat... much cooler.  

Congrats on the great find and on getting it pup the hill. 

16 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Well that sure was worth the effort! Where there's a will there's a way, they say :)

Or, "Where there's a will, there's a whale". :)

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Awesome find! :dinothumb:

Nothing wrong with a dirty vehicle. Shows that you use it. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

5 hours ago, mamlambo said:

49174463973_11e74667cd_k.jpg

I see the interior of your car looks like mine.;)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Or, "Where there's a will, there's a whale". :)

Or in this case, where there's a whale there's a will!

Another great installment in what I've started to call Mamlambo's Fossiliferous Summer. He's been getting up early, exploring, learning and above all being curious. I wonder what the next chapter will hold for him.

I know you are looking for that elusive Meg tooth and I think if anyone is going to find one (Them!!??) it will be you.

There have been shark tooth clusters found along this coast in concretions - I've dreamed of finding one!

Did you get any funny questions/looks hauling it up the hill?

I think I told you about the penguin concretion I found - I interupted two guys sunbathing (Austrian I think?) and asked if they could help as even with a cart it was tough. They were fine as long as it wasn't illegal!

So is this going to be a centerpiece in the living room? :thumbsu:

Is the rock hard? Will it be hard to prep?

• I found this Informative 2

Being a "mud doctor" you might think this is outside my area of expertise, but I feel qualified to prescribe some sort of general anesthetic for any resulting aches and pains from this adventure :thumbsu:

Whale skull is super cool! Can’t wait to see it cleaned up. 
I’m on my second vehicle that smells like the Brazos River. That dirt gets everywhere!

@Doctor Mud Meg tooth is definitely up there on the list. I would really love to find a bigger part of plesiosaur and also a pretty complete penguin (either from the greensand or miocene cliffs). I still have a month of holiday so going to really give it a proper go! One of those shark tooth clusters :fingerscrossed: Would love to find one!

I met one oldish gentleman towards the top of the hill, he was quite bemused by the effort I went to for a big chunk of rock. He asked 3 times whether it came from the bottom of the cliff :)

There is going to be some negotiation required to get this into the living room... maybe if I can put a table top on top of it (see-through of course!). It's very hard rock, but seems to be ready to come off the bone. So might be lucky there!

Going to have to have a bit of a rest before I attempt something that size... maybe Sunday :)

• I found this Informative 3