Possible whale skull

mamlambo

Congratulations on the awesome find!

Looking forward to hearing more updates on this. Whales have such an interesting evolutionary history.

• I found this Informative 1

Good to see that you got it home but why the back seat. I would have propped it up in the front seat and put the seat belt around it :thumbsu:

Dumb question as part of the prep will it need to be soaked in fresh water to remove the salt ?.

It would look good in a glass table in the lounge but you will need to line the sides with angled mirrors to better see the sides.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

On 12/5/2019 at 5:00 PM, jpc said:

fossils of any kind dirtying up the back seat... much cooler. 

What is the purpose of a vehicle after all, if not to haul fossils?  :zzzzscratchchin:

8 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Good to see that you got it home but why the back seat. I would have propped it up in the front seat and put the seat belt around it :thumbsu:

Dumb question as part of the prep will it need to be soaked in fresh water to remove the salt ?.

It would look good in a glass table in the lounge but you will need to line the sides with angled mirrors to better see the sides.

Mike

@Mike from North Queensland I'm not too sure on soaking in freshwater, I've heard some suggest it. Does anyone have any more information on how this would impact the fossil and prep?

On 12/6/2019 at 8:50 PM, grandpa said:

What is the purpose of a vehicle after all, if not to haul fossils?  :zzzzscratchchin:

and what is the purpose of a garage?  To put a car in t?  Nope.  To put fossils in it?  Much better.

On 07/12/2019 at 4:41 PM, mamlambo said:

ike from North Queensland I'm not too sure on soaking in freshwater, I've heard some suggest it. Does anyone have any more information on how this would impact the fossil and prep?

Al Mannering (one of NZs Top preppers) recommended a soak for some to flush out the salts. I think there would only be a problem with existing fractures once the concretion dried? If salt crystals expanded the cracks?

i didn’t do this for my crab preps, so far so good. Guess there could be a danger of salt taking up moisture in humid environments over time?

ive started to soak all my crab concs now to be sure as it doesn’t seem to harm them and could benefit.

• I found this Informative 4

@Doctor Mud Makes sense that they could expand over time and cause problems. This skull is a bit too big and heavy for my bath so I've got it in the garden with some sprinklers on it :D Hope that flushes the salt out!

2 hours ago, mamlambo said:

@Doctor Mud Makes sense that they could expand over time and cause problems. This skull is a bit too big and heavy for my bath so I've got it in the garden with some sprinklers on it :D Hope that flushes the salt out!

Probably a good way to keep the peace at home too! :thumbsu:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Thanks for the help in ID-ing this find. I have made a video of the first part of the adventure which can be found here: 

Part two: the rescue, is coming soon :)

• I found this Informative 3

Heh, that was quite a task. Maybe you should think about getting some kind of engine for the cart. Anyway, a big skull is well worth the trouble. Also, it's important to lift heavy things only from the squatting position to minimize risks of spine injury.

Hi,

What a work of convict to climb all these steps ! How is your back ? I can’t wait to see this marvel prepared !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@Doctor Mud messaged me about this last month; I'm glad to see it off the beach! There seems to be a lot missing, but hopefully something diagnostic is hiding under some of that remaining matrix. Nice job getting it off the beach!