Heading to Tampa & Looking to Collect Some Fossils This Sunday

kushmeja

Hi All!

My wife & I are heading down to Tampa tomorrow to visit my brother, his wife & my new baby niece. It turns out that they are going to be tied up until around dinnertime this Sunday, so it looks like I'll have some unexpected free time to hunt for some fossils - yay! I've been doing a fair amount of research and see that there are a lot of sites within an hour or two of Tampa. Given the very limited time that I will have to hunt, I'm trying to narrow down to the best spot to start hunting & also have a backup spot or two nearby in case I'm not having much luck at the first spot. I figured that I'd post on here to see if anyone could help me out with some info on a spot or two where I would have the best chances this time of year. We definitely don't mind working to find stuff, and we are even down to rent a kayak if that would be a better option. If anyone has any pointers and could help me out, or better yet, if you will be going out collecting this Sunday & wouldn't mind my wife & I tagging along, we would greatly appreciate it!

We don't have a fossil collecting permit, because I just found out 2 days ago that we'll have free time on Sunday, so I didn't have time to get one for us. I'm fully aware that that greatly restricts what we are able to collect, at least in certain locations, but we would be happy to even find decent sized shark teeth or some lower grade agatized fossil coral. We are more concerned with just having a good time being outside and finding some cool stuff!

Also, I collect a lot of fossil shark teeth from up here in New Jersey too (and a ton of rocks & minerals too), so I'd be more than happy to give someone some of fossils/rocks/minerals that we find up in NJ in exchange for some help while we are down in FL this weekend. I'd also gladly return the favor if you are ever up in the NJ/PA/NY area, since I'm a heavy field collector and have several productive spots up this way!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Best,

John