Secret Location Alpha - Peace River Florida

Bone Daddy

The stars have finally lined up : schedule, health, weather, funds, and river gauge. That means it's time to hit the river again!  :yay-smiley-1:

Tomorrow I am going to a location that is one of my secret honey-holes. Let's call it "Alpha". It's on the Peace River and has produced plentiful Pleistocene and Holocene specimens. Want a fuzzy clue about it's location? Ok, here goes : it is in a counter-intuitive spot that is easily overlooked. That's it.  ;)

I have not laid eyes on Alpha for months, so I am unsure what to expect. Hopefully it is fruitful (it usually is). Only three other people on the planet know where this spot is - my wife, my stepson Josh, and my daughter-in-law Alaina. Tomorrow my wife and I are going - so wish us luck! The truck is already loaded up and we will be on the road when the roosters are crowing.

I typically post a report after the trip, so that report (and photos) will go here via replies. Stay tuned...

x-2-2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

:d_good_luck:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think you need to call this site “Beta”, looks like a cruise ship was there collecting first- LOL. Not too bad of a photo shop.

0738B624-2679-4154-9EBA-3F24619B276D.thumb.png.5c76c8624074067d6984fa1bbd848e9c.png

• I found this Informative 2

Those are either some really big trees or some really little people on that ship!

Personally I vote for the trees. ;)

***And I'd hate to see the size of the gators!!!

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Good Luck Bone Daddy!

I was on the river Wed.  The flow has slowed and depth has dropped to a good level.  Found a nice Hemipristis, quarter size Meg, possible Peccary canine (pictures to follow on ID section soon), Unk claw/core, horse teeth and mammoth frags.

Well, we went yesterday...

Drove almost two hours, arrived at the river, started to untie the kayak from the truck and I was struck by the realization that I had forgotten the snap-in seat backs for the tandem kayak!

I was soooooo ##### at myself. We were not about to fully abort the mission after all of this anticipation, so we had to modify our plans. We put in the water and I paddled around back and forth to get a feel for paddling with no seat backs. It was like paddling a flat skiff. I could brace my feet, but not my back. So, all of my paddle strokes had about 50% power behind them. Maybe if I was 20 years younger and didn't have a gimpy back, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I could feel the extra strain my lower back, so we decided to scale back our plans.

Secret Location Alpha was too far to paddle with this limitation, so we decided to make the best of it and just hit a spot that was closer. This closer spot was known to produce a lot of little stuff, but nothing big and not in great quantities - just a basic "decent" spot. Spent a few hours there, doing a lot of sifting and I brought home a fanny pack of tiny teeth, bone bits, a piece of petrified wood, and the usual suspects. My wife did run across a nice piece of agatized Miocene hash with a lot of pretty botryoidal chalcedony crystals on it - probably the best find of the day.

So overall, this was a rare bust for fossil finds. Lesson learned - make a checklist before leaving. You'd think after all these years and trips, I would learn not to forget something important, but something like this seems to happen every other trip. One time I forgot my water shoes. Another time I forgot my good glasses. More than once I have forgotten my packed lunch. But I've never forgotten something critically important, like part of the kayak. There has some been some disruption to my routine at home lately and I was distracted while loading up for the trip, but ultimately it falls on me by not double-checking everything before we left home.

The weather was gorgeous - cool but sunny. We saw a lot of wildlife and my wife snapped some good photos - I'll post some later after she goes through the camera roll. I'll also post a photo of my meager finds.

Is there a "kicking yourself emoji"   ???

Glad to hear you were able to salvage the day.  I had a similar experience last month.  Got to the river, loaded the kayak, returned to the car for the paddle and it wasn't there!  I forgot to put it in the car!  This required a quick drive to a nearby Walmart to buy the only paddle they had - a 4.5' single blade paddle better suited for a kids canoe.  At least it allowed me to get on the river and not drive the 50 miles home empty handed!