rock pick

Bob Saunders

I have had this Pry-Axe brand made in Chicago for a few years. It is listed as a Fireman's tool. The only online photo I found has a different handle. So I assume it will be a good rock pick and maybe I can wrap like golf club tape on it? A SOG folding shovel with belt pouch. Has proven well made and handy. The maker of Multi-Tools. 

P1000871.jpg

How heavy is the pick-axe?

Looks a bit unwieldy, to me.  :unsure: 

I still think you can't beat a good Estwing geologic hammer or Mason's hammer. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim.

Lugging something like that in the field might not be the most optimal choice.

A classic pick-axe is fine, but only if the goal is serious excavation (particularly in dealing with hard clay overburden). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I used to carry a small hand mattock in my collecting bucket along with my hammer and a couple smallish chisels when collecting in shale deposits. Now, I carry a 20 pound digging bar, 1 small chisel, and a small hammer. The bar is an amazingly effective excavation tool for in shale and limestone. It's a bit of a workout carting it around but the energy saved per swing during an excavation is on an order of magnitude higher.

• I found this Informative 2

The pick is 13 1/4 inch maybe 5 lbs tops so easy to keep in the trunk. Probably paid around $10 at a antique mall while traveling. The only so far is use the side to put down tent stakes while camping if no hammer. The shovel is light weight and folds to around 6 inch. I always check antique shops, tractor shows and garage sales for used tools. 

4 hours ago, Kane said:

classic pick-axe is fine, but only if the goal is serious excavation (particularly in dealing with hard clay overburden). 

If you ( or anyone else for that matter ) wants to get a large two handed pick-axe, make sure you get one with a substantially heavy head on it.

I bought one several years ago and it only has a 2.5 lb. head.  It's not nearly heavy enough to penetrate even the mildest of matrix soils. Usually it just bounces off the ground and quickly tires you out trying to dig.

Get at least a 5 lb. head or more!

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 3 weeks later...