The Ammonite Vacation Jackpot

Megalodoodle

As I was heading home from vacation in Oklahoma I heard that may large ammonite specimens were found at Lake Texoma. Not wanting to pass up the opportunity to obtain some nice sized ammonite specimens I drove two hours out of my way. When I arrived I realized how massive Lake Texoma is and decided to rent a kayak to aid in my search for ammonites. Pushing my kayak out into the lake I paddled at a nice leisurely pace. After realizing that going slow was going to put a large dent in my wallet ($50 an hour) I decided to pick up the pace. I quickly paddle straight out to the opposite side of the lake. Finally, after 30 minutes of paddling I arrived on the shore hauling my kayak onto the shore I quickly unpacked my trusty hammer and chisel and set off down the beach. Finding nothing but a few large (and scary) spiders amongst the marl I headed down the beach in the opposite direction. Climbing the precarious rocks, I eventually found a few small specimens, but they were nowhere near the size of the rumored “monster” ammonites. As the sun was setting I stumbled upon an extremely well-preserved ammonite and decided to extract it. Unfortunately time was not on my side and the sun began to sink lower into the skies. Picking up the pace I eventually removed the top layer of the ammonite. Taking my prizes I made my way back to the kayak and pushing off once again I paddled back to the dock. Though it may not have been the “monster” I was hoping for I still got what I had (mostly) come for.

Were you looking for this one?  I was at the Lake Texoma  1 1/2 weeks ago. Finally  able to pull this massive one out by carrying on my back.  Did little bit of prep and now sitting in my room. This one measures 20 inches and weights around 150 pounds. 

image.png

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

Glad you got one on your first try.  Yes, Texoma is huge, and it is possible to miss the ammonites altogether if you aren't consulting a geomap and targeting specific formations.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."