Brownies and Purse: Thanksgiving Weekend 2019

Andy B

I had been wanting to get back to the Calvert Cliffs since my 1st trip there in early 2018. I had the Thanksgiving weekend off and the weather forecast looked good for 3 days so I went. It was beautiful weather down there for hunting. Honking winds blew the water out of the bay the first 2 days but you couldn't feel it behind the cliffs. It did make for some hard hunting. But I had 3 days and nothing else to do so I got down on the ground so I could see what I was looking at and mostly just sifted through the dry shell material. I didn't have high hopes but it was beautiful to be outside. And I must say, I found something special every day I was there.

I hunted all day Thursday before checking into my hotel and getting a Bob Evens dinner. Then I re-raked the gravel a little while Friday morning before getting some breakfast and spending the rest of the day exploring Purse State Park for the first time. I woke up a little later Saturday so I could have some free breakfast at the Rod 'n Reel Resort before hunting. I was lucky because the weather shifted and the tide was back in. It made for some enjoyable kitty-litter-scooper scooping all day. The tide never dropped more than a couple inches maybe so I just stood near the water line and scooped up anything I could see.

Here's some pics.

sIMG_7141.jpg

sIMG_7145.jpg

sIMG_7174.jpg

sIMG_7175.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The Meg was 1.5" across the top of the root, and about 1.75" from the broken tip to the back of the root. The 7-gill Cow shark tooth was my first real one. I found an almost indistinguishable one my 1st trip but it didn't count it.

I can't upload anymore pics but those are the good ones.

Oh, and I think I found my 1st "cookie" as well as my 1st whale or porpoise tooth. You can see them in the second picture I think.

Wow nice finds :fistbump: love the colors on those hemis!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks for sharing your finds, that sounds like a real nice holiday! Those are some lovely teeth. 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, Andy B said:

The 7-gill Cow shark tooth was my first real one. I found an almost indistinguishable one my 1st trip but it didn't count it.

This seems cryptic.  You found an almost indistinguishable one but "it didn't count it"?  I'm curious about the story.

You certainly made some nice finds.

Don

16 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Wow nice finds :fistbump: love the colors on those hemis!

Thanks! I liked them too. I could tell they were brown when I saw them in the water.

3 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Thanks for sharing your finds, that sounds like a real nice holiday! Those are some lovely teeth. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

This seems cryptic.  You found an almost indistinguishable one but "it didn't count it"?  I'm curious about the story.

You certainly made some nice finds.

Don

I probably described this incorrectly. I actually found a tooth I knew was a 7-gill but it was just a blade with a really gnarly looking cusp sticking out to the side. And the root was pretty well missing (or appeared to be). It turns out that it is actually a top front tooth I think, from the pics I saw on the www. I may have to dig it back out and take another look. What was once a fragment might actually be a pretty unique tooth. ;)

And my 1st 7-gill tooth from my last trip down. Looks like a very nice example of an upper front tooth, less most of the root.

sIMG_7186.jpg

sIMG_7188.jpg

• I found this Informative 1