Jackson g

Fossil sites near McKinney, Texas

Jackson g

Hello all, here next week I'll be going to McKinney, Texas for about 6 days to visit my father. I'm not familiar with any fossil formations in the area, but would like to take my dad out with me for a fossil hunting trip. I thought I would come here to see if anyone around the area is familiar with it, or has any advice on the land, or recommended tools for out in the field. I'm used to harder Mississippian age rocks in Missouri, so I'm not sure what I should pack up for the trip tool wise. I plan on doing some research of my own in a day or two about the area, when I can make time. Any extra input or advice is appreciated, thank you!

Carboniferouspat

I like your Id picture of the trilobite do you know where that came from I have never seen that kind of color on a trilo before?

facehugger

In that area, creeks will probably be your best bet. Don't think that region has too many road cuts. A rock hammer, and strong flat head screw driver for prying - but you will probably find most stuff in loose gravel bars. 

Post Oak Creek in Sherman, a bit north, is nice for shark teeth. But it was flooded a week ago...

Jackson g
15 hours ago, facehugger said:

In that area, creeks will probably be your best bet. Don't think that region has too many road cuts. A rock hammer, and strong flat head screw driver for prying - but you will probably find most stuff in loose gravel bars. 

Post Oak Creek in Sherman, a bit north, is nice for shark teeth. But it was flooded a week ago...

Thanks for the tips! I did a little google work on the creek, it definitely seems like an easy spot for a beginner such as myself to hit. Its about a 30 minute drive from where my dad is staying. It would be awesome to find some fossil shark teeth and add something new to the collection. But honestly, I would be happy alone with some brachiopods. Hoping it's not flooded, but I'll stop by it forsure. 

Jackson g
On 12/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, facehugger said:

I stopped by the creek today on my way down to McKinney. It was incredible seeing what seemed like thousands of oyster fossils persevered. I didnt have much time to look for anything, it did seem like the water was a little high though. Thanks again for the great tip! I kept a couple of the nicer oysters I found.

facehugger

No problem! So I think a great way to check the water level at that particular creek is to check the water level for Lake Texoma. If it reads below full poll, chances are that creek is workable. 

Jackson g
15 hours ago, facehugger said:

No problem! So I think a great way to check the water level at that particular creek is to check the water level for Lake Texoma. If it reads below full poll, chances are that creek is workable. 

Thanks for the heads up. I will end up stopping by Sherman here in 2 days, as I didnt have much time but to scope the area out. I've got the next few days here planned, but on my way back from the Waco pit I'll probably end up stopping by Sherman's Post Oak Creek again. I've got a reptile tooth so far, next up is a shark tooth on the list!