Shellseeker

Out hunting today, and doing some prospecting. The weather was supposed to be warmer (high of 79), and the air was fine, but the water was cold.

We had 3 hunters, but not many unique finds,  a nurse shark and an unusual bone, neither found by me. When I say unusual, we are 3 experienced fossil hunters, and none of us has an ID..  Hopefully TFF can assist.

TFFbone1.JPG

TFFbone2.JPG

TFFbone3.JPG

TFFbone4.JPG

TFFbone5.JPG

TFFbone6.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks like it might be a joint bone ( wrist/ankle? ).  Couldn't tell you to what critter though, something fairly big I would imagine.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Glyptodont ?

WOW... none of us thought of that... While searching for Glyptodont toe bones,  I found drawings of numerous sloth toe bones...Pictures of Sloth toe/foot bones were MUCH easier to find than Glyptodont toe/foot bones

Comparison-of-the-pes-of-the-four-different-groups-of-ground-sloths-in-which-the-hind.thumb.png.6fa6d40f9ff41b64b1f81f370da7d22c.png

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Looks like it might be a patella?

58 minutes ago, PrehistoricFlorida said:

It's a tapir patella.

Thanks to ALL,  looks like Carl & Prehistoric Florida were really close on getting to seeing this on TFF.

I am literally amazed at the detail and quality of this bone. The Peace River is a rough and tumble churning environment,  breaking bones and teeth in the summer floods -- it moves huge logs and concrete blocks miles.

On top of that there is water and sand erosion. I have seen mammoth tusks sliced lengthwise by water and sand.

This tapir could have died last spring and would likely have more wear on the bone than this... I am going to have to return to that location just to see if it has more super quality bones...  :thumbsu:

9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

The Peace River is a rough and tumble churning environment,  breaking bones and teeth in the summer floods -- it moves huge logs and concrete blocks miles.

What amazes me is a state that has such little elevation change has such torrential river speeds. :o

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

47 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

From the clouds to the ground is all they need.

It is like Flash Floods and arroyos in the South west. The Peace River seems to alternate between flood plain and limestone cliff with plenty of tributaries. The water keeps coming and when squeezed goes up 20 plus feet..

15 minutes ago, garyc said:

That’s a really nice looking bone

Agreed !! It is one of the finest bones I have ever seen for a fossil. When found, I thought it must be modern!!