This one really has me stumped. Round hollow bone?

RobinBradbery

Found near McFaddin Beach Texas.

It feels like bone but the walls are thin and it is hollow. Inner ear bone? Some sort of urchin? 

IMG_6711[1].JPG

IMG_6712[1].JPG

IMG_6713[1].JPG

Hi, i Don't think this is an urchin.

It might be a concretion or an artifact.

Is it heavy or light ?

Could you please take closer pics for us to see its outer texture ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hi,

Not a sea urchin.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Boy, it really has some features of Echinoids.... Has to be some sort of sea creature.

image.thumb.png.4c77de1fd8eaa112a452c19b32614069.png

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That is a very interesting object, not sure what it is but a couple of observations/questions/thoughts. I’m with @fifbrindacier, I’d love to know it’s relative weight and agree that it is not an echinoid (even though the second picture does resemble the underside of one) primarily because I can’t see any evidence of the penta-radial symmetry that we should see on the top. The thin walls and hollow description along with the slightly deflated spherical shape make me think man made. It’s one of those things though that you really want to hold in your hand to get a better feel for what it is. I look forward to hearing other thoughts. 

14 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Boy, it really has some features of Echinoids.... Has to be some sort of sea creature.

image.thumb.png.4c77de1fd8eaa112a452c19b32614069.png

The little aperture does look slightly similar to these tbh

Hi,

Not a sea urchin because :

- the hole is too swollen to be a mouth or an anus,
- no trace of ambulacra,
- no evidence of interambular plate,
- no gonopore.

Coco
  • I found this Informative 5

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, Plax said:

reminds me of ceriopora but perhaps a modern animal of this sort?

Similar on one side?

Then this http://www.austinbug.com/larvalbug/val/archval7-15.html

Have not found anything definitive

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

would love to get a micro camera at that hole if big enough just to see if there is any clues on the inside.....but wouldnt want to break it.

is it  hollow you think looks like it may be.

It is very light weight. I scraped off a small amount of the exterior and put a drop of vinegar on it. It dissolved and bubbled very slightly.  I can shine a light through it and just barely look inside. There are some structures against the inner walls but my eyes are not good enough to see what they could be. I'm trying to find my magnifying glasses.

Salut JP, tu transmettras mon bonjour et celui d'Anhuta à Becky. Je vous embrasse tous les deux.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

2 hours ago, RobinBradbery said:

I can shine a light through it and just barely look inside. There are some structures against the inner walls but my eyes are not good enough to see what they could be. 

Better call Antman!

I kept staring at this thing ..... could it be some type of sponge ? ... there are a few along these lines.  These are deep water sponges. Of course the location and depth is all wrong, but still, nature has a way of repeating itself in different locations.

Geodia baretti

5df0858499843_06Foto3.4.5.Geodiabaretti.thumb.jpg.0d302efecbe43af3d02edd38e0c552b0.jpg

Demosponges can take on ball shapes as well ... time to cut it open !!  haha

DemoSponge_001.jpg.3d05fde9563c47ae760b21a89502313b.jpg220px-Chondrosia_reniformis01_DemoSponge.jpg.29088dd3d694874d9c4c7af77cfb48eb.jpg

I will say this is waaaay out of my wheelhouse .. but I like a visual mystery and I enjoy staring at images and heading down Google Image wormholes ! Hopefully I've just confused matters a bit.

It does look a bit eroded (bio-eroded ?).. or rather ... it has been sitting in the water and rolling around for a bit.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Now that I think about it .. I assume the skeleton would look rather different once it is left behind ... hmmmm ...

Ok, so on the plant nut side of things could it be a washed out and bleached Prickly Palm nut ?  Acrocomia spp. 

In that case the smaller hole could be from a parasitic wasp ... or some such creature. Or not. 

I'm digging the nut line of questioning .. hmm ... no-one else gets obsessed with these odd balls ? .. too much coffee I suppose.

Prickly_Palm5.jpg.0153eef8e3dabeab1ac11d790a839faa.jpg

Prickly_Palm_3.jpg.b0e6e40e27c0ec8131caf2ca1e32daa9.jpg

Prickly_Palm_02.jpg.9465fb90bee3bbc8ab6b46386126789c.jpgPrickly_Palm_04.jpg.f37d188c86b36f61dbaf92c6c2cb95ac.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1