Joebiwan3

So this tooth i have was labeled by the seller as an Allosaurus premax tooth. The tooth is still in the matrix and the tip of it has broken off. The tooth measures 15/16 " long and is from the morrison formation ( bone cabin quarry ) in wyoming.

Screenshot_20191208-235728_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6a28712ceff97c55793ff03a2410dfde.jpgScreenshot_20191208-235748_Gallery.thumb.jpg.20f7a14759910c6ad4390e1a6f2d740b.jpgScreenshot_20191208-235718_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6ae6814fb27b2edaa8e1f9bc85f67d9f.jpg

has the robustness and the size of a typical Allosaurus tooth so Allosaurus 

• I found this Informative 1

One cannot just look at Jurassic teeth from a photo and make a determination of what genus it is.  Most isolated anterior teeth are very hard to positively assign to a dinosaur without some quantitative analysis and then it may be a guesstimate .  Since your tooth is a partial, missing serrations it more subjective or not possible.   Its size and the presence of interdenticular sulci between the distal denticles suggest it can be an allosauridae or a meglosauridae.  Like to see a photo of the mesial carina like your 2 and 3 photo but a bit more of the labial side, no fingers please :D.  Next need to understand what the density count is of both Carina at least 1 mm wide more if possible.  

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

One cannot just look at Jurassic teeth from a photo and make a determination of what genus it is.  Most isolated anterior teeth are very hard to positively assign to a dinosaur without some quantitative analysis and then it may be a guesstimate .  Since your tooth is a partial, missing serrations it more subjective or not possible.   Its size and the presence of interdenticular sulci between the distal denticles suggest it can be an allosauridae or a meglosauridae.  Like to see a photo of the mesial carina like your 2 and 3 photo but a bit more of the labial side, no fingers please :D.  Next need to understand what the density count is of both Carina at least 1 mm wide more if possible.  

:thumbsu:

Ok everyone....heres a few more pics i tried to get a clear one of the labial side. I took some next to a ruler too i hope this helps.20191209_194452.thumb.jpg.bd06e9ed8f3d557b674401b1113aa356.jpg20191209_194434.thumb.jpg.a8a9a4715716742a08066af40466e908.jpg

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You will need to provide me a serration count.  

When I zoom in on photos, I count ~3/mm

@Troodon i see 3 denticles per mm on the posterior....6 for every 2 mm....the anterior was about the same although it was hard to see because there arent many serrations left in tact....they looked to be about 3 per mm.

@Troodon yah def a good exercise....im gonna start posting my raptor teeth soon. Ill list measurements for them when i do and we can see what we think they could be if raptor at all....