fossilsonwheels

We did three Dinosaur education programs at Shasta Elementary which has become our home away from home school. These were cute and excited little 2nd graders. After the first program, the teachers informed us of potentially problematic student. This kid had some pretty heavy duty behavioral stuff going on. The decision was made to let him stay in the classroom for the program. The program started and this students was at a table in the far corner doing his own thing. He made a minor attempt at being a distraction for about 5 minutes by tapping his pencil on the desk and making noises.

The tapping and noises stopped. A few minutes passed and the student very quietly walked by me to his regular desk which was right next to me. He proceeded to get more and more engaged. He followed the class rules and was smiling the whole time. He was a model student through the presentation. He had some good knowledge and was behaving like the other kids just enjoying checking out dinosaur fossils.

After the program, when we were done passing out the shark teeth for the kids to take home, he gave me a quick hug and said thank you. I told him he earned his fossil by following the rules. He smiled and with pride said " I did follow the rules." The teacher asked us to come back and do that again. He will be back in late January or early February. We will also be back in April or May. They will get sharks and they will get whales. Carter and I were both thrilled to have gotten through to all of the kids today but that one kid was the highlight of the day to us. 3 classrooms full of kids and they were all digging what we were doing.

I have been an educator for over a decade so I know how to get through to tough kids but fossils have an absolutely magical power with kids. 80-90% of the kids we encounter stay engaged and all of them follow the rules to get their free fossils. Today was almost 100% as far as engagement goes. The fossils have such an impact and the kids really get involved.

Tomorrow, I head off to Paradise to do programs at the site of the worst wildfire in California history. Carter has dental work to get done but tomorrow will be awesome. I worked with many students from paradise right after the fire in my other job so we are honored to be heading up there for some special kids. It will end our Fall season in a huge way. We did programs for 24 classrooms this fall. We gave away over 600 free fossil kits. For the year, we are over 1200 free fossils. We did a program for a retirement community. We traveled this fall. We reached new schools and new grade levels. I make this update with a great deal of pride. Thank TFF and all the members here who have been so helpful. You go to these classrooms with us :)

• I found this Informative 9

:tiphat:My hats off to you and the others involved in this grand venture. Thank you for the work you are doing with the younger generations. I know it will impact them for the rest of their lives.:default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2:

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

fossils have an absolutely magical power with kids

I totally agree with this statement but it is not just about the fossils it is about how you deliver the program. The passion you show in the classroom as you do on the TFF is infectious. Each kid leaves the lessons with a lovely little fossil but more important they  leave with an incredible amount of enjoyment and some new knowledge . I bet some will even leave with the thoughts and dreams  of been a palaeontologists or even just a lowly fossil collector like myself . I think you will have sparked the interest in many of your students to take up fossil collecting as a wonderful pastime or a scientific endeavour . 
 +1 :tiphat:

congratulations on a great year of education delivery.

All the best my friend, Bobby 

• I found this Informative 2

Very glad to hear how well it is going. Its awesome what you are doing! If you are ever seeking fossil donations, I have a 5 pound bucket of silicified/ geodized coral I wouldn't mind sharing and sending you some(I would pay shipping) for the cause. I take some to work every once in a while, and let the kids clean them off with toothbrushes and soap. I usually give them some coral and a piece of candy for each piece they clean well, it usually goes over great! Keep up the great service you are providing. JG

• I found this Informative 3

On 12/9/2019 at 8:35 PM, Randyw said:

:tiphat:My hats off to you and the others involved in this grand venture. Thank you for the work you are doing with the younger generations. I know it will impact them for the rest of their lives.:default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2:

Thank you very much. I hope we have a positive impact and I think we are doing a good job of that so far.

On 12/10/2019 at 12:48 AM, Bobby Rico said:

I totally agree with this statement but it is not just about the fossils it is about how you deliver the program. The passion you show in the classroom as you do on the TFF is infectious. Each kid leaves the lessons with a lovely little fossil but more important they  leave with an incredible amount of enjoyment and some new knowledge . I bet some will even leave with the thoughts and dreams  of been a palaeontologists or even just a lowly fossil collector like myself . I think you will have sparked the interest in many of your students to take up fossil collecting as a wonderful pastime or a scientific endeavour . 
 +1 :tiphat:

congratulations on a great year of education delivery.

All the best my friend, Bobby 

Thank you Bobby. I think we may be helping a few kids think about paleontology as a career. At the very least they are learning the concepts and enjoying the fossils. IT makes an impact for certain :)

On 12/10/2019 at 1:07 AM, Jackson g said:

Very glad to hear how well it is going. Its awesome what you are doing! If you are ever seeking fossil donations, I have a 5 pound bucket of silicified/ geodized coral I wouldn't mind sharing and sending you some(I would pay shipping) for the cause. I take some to work every once in a while, and let the kids clean them off with toothbrushes and soap. I usually give them some coral and a piece of candy for each piece they clean well, it usually goes over great! Keep up the great service you are providing. JG

We are always happy to get an offer of a donation. Coral is an excellent fossil to give the kids and we did have some in the spring. The kids loved it. I will send you a PM ! Thank you very much.