Winner of the November 2019 Invertebrate/Plant Fossil Of The Month

digit

The winner of the November 2019 IPFOTM (Battle of the Blastoids :)) goes to...

Devonoblastus whiteavesi blastoid - Widder Fm, Hungry Hollow Member (Middle Devonian) - Arkona, Ontario

Congratulations to @Greg.Wood !!!

_16C8983.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Congratulations, Greg.:yay-smiley-1:

Splendid win, what a contest that was. 

Just one vote in it!

I really loved both of those blastoids.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It was a real knock-down drag-out contest and a true Battle of the Blastoids! I love the pentagonal symmetry and general shape of blastoids. They are high on my bucket list and I hope to find a spot to collect a nice handful some day. I think there are spots near where Illinois, Missouri, and Kentucky meet that are well known for having oodles of these rounded treasures. Need to plan a trip up there when it warms up. Obviously, the rest of the forum has an appreciation for these two rare examples of fine blastoids. Congrats to both--as well as the other fine entries this month.

Cheers.

-Ken

Very nice! Congrats! :yay-smiley-1:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Congrats Greg!!

That blastoid is quite cool :D 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I'm a sucker for spirals, but in this contest I was really digging your blastoid (swell photos btw)...congrats on a great win, Greg!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Hi,

Congrats Greg, nice echinoderm !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congratulations, Greg, that's a great Blastoid. :yay-smiley-1: I was really torn between the 2 blastoids offered this month.  I couldn't decide so I chose not to vote this month. :default_faint:

2 hours ago, grandpa said:

I couldn't decide so I chose not to vote this month.

You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

- Rush (Freewill)

Sorry, I felt compelled to add that for the benefit of those old enough to remember one of Canada's best exports from the 70s and 80s (sorry SCTV, Molson and maple syrup). :P

It was a great slate of entries this month even though it was the blastoids that caught fire in the voting.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

39 minutes ago, digit said:

for the benefit of those old enough to remember one of Canada's best exports from the 70s and 80s

Koo Roo Koo Koo - Koo Roo Koo Koo.  :heartylaugh:

I fear that we are of that fading generation that know what this means and others just find us "Koo Koo". ;)

Almost fitting to bring the conversation to Canada where this exquisite blastoid hails from. Tammy and I had a chance to hunt the Widder with @Malcolmt and @Kane during one of our roadtrips. I have fond memories of an unusual hot day in October banging rocks and watching the human backhoe show the rock who's boss by removing many times his body weight in shale. I was preoccupied with rugose corals and brachiopods (a novelty for a Florida fossil hunter) and would have been over the moon to spot a blastoid while skittering around on the talus slope.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

It's a real beauty, congrats on this jewel! :yay-smiley-1:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 12/10/2019 at 8:13 AM, digit said:

It was a real knock-down drag-out contest and a true Battle of the Blastoids! I love the pentagonal symmetry and general shape of blastoids. They are high on my bucket list and I hope to find a spot to collect a nice handful some day. I think there are spots near where Illinois, Missouri, and Kentucky meet that are well known for having oodles of these rounded treasures. Need to plan a trip up there when it warms up. Obviously, the rest of the forum has an appreciation for these two rare examples of fine blastoids. Congrats to both--as well as the other fine entries this month.

Cheers.

-Ken

If you ever visit Missouri, consider the Burlington Formation. Many counties prevail, Pike is one of the best but in Henry I have found many that are steinkerns vs silicified. The amount of crinoids is amazing, but there are spots where I've found many perfect Globoblastus melo blastoids on the surface. -JG

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...