Which vertebrae? Atlas? Basioccipital bone?

Still_human

DdWhat bone is this? It looks like the vertebra that attaches to the skull, which I thought was the basioccipital bone, but looking it up i see that the first vertebra is called the atlas, not basioccipital, which has me very confused? I looked a few places and haven’t found the connection between the 2(no pun intended:) Is the basioccipital bone PART of the atlas? I didn’t think there was anything between the skull and vertebrae.

As far as the bone in question here, this IS the vertebra that connects directly to the skull, right??? ..whichever one It.

41CBE6F9-2D45-4873-9AB3-ED30E22E00AF.jpeg

45108CE4-049E-417A-BE3A-CCAEDB4964A1.jpeg

47A514AA-C24E-47FF-BCEF-EF6A4433396B.jpeg

53F945CE-4D94-46C3-A162-CB89A4BDE97D.jpeg

15974321-B5E3-4C60-BCF4-A7F97AEA9F87.jpeg

294861B0-06CE-42A9-9860-0FF7B80622C0.jpeg

27FC850B-FBDD-4EF2-B2E1-B69834707F47.jpeg

Interesting! See the second picture in this post for a definite atlas:

The atlas is the 1st cervical vertebra and has the very characteristic "cups" that articulates with the occipital condyles at the base of the skull. See the following for a fairly simple set of diagrams of the atlas and its major characteristics:

https://theartofmed.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/c1-vertebra-atlas-and-accompanying-structures/

In all, I am not seeing the characteristics that one would expect of an atlas. 

• I found this Informative 1

It’s supposed to be a spinosaur vert. Nothing about atlas or occipital were actually mentioned, but the ball&socket looking ball looks like an occipital bone to me. Or at least like the few I have, and have seen.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, ok, I’m stupid! The occipital is on the skull side! I must have known that at some point, cause ive definitely seen, and think I may even HAVE a piece of skull with the occipital bone ON IT! Lol

That means that ISNT a ball joint on this vertebrae, then. Wow, it just seems so prominent:/ So is that just a standard part of this vertebrae? If so, that leads to another question—what vertebrae is that, that has a ball like that?