FossilNerd

Monday morning was dreary here in Central Kentucky. The sky was cloudy grey, and the rain was sputtering off and on. I didn't let that dampen my spirits though. I had planned to go fossil hunting and nothing was going to ruin my day!

weather.thumb.JPG.9a3109c412cc33227c2f23b093c19ece.JPG

I grabbed my hunting gear, a cup of coffee, dropped my daughter off at daycare, and headed out.  I arrived at the Upper Ordovician (Drakes Formation) spot that I had found this year. The last time I visited this place I didn't have time to really enjoy myself. It was more of a smash and grab. A rush to see if anything was actually there and to grab what I could.

This time I was determined to spend more time at my new found hunting grounds. Not even a little wind and rain would stop me. After about a 45 minute drive I arrived at the road cut. 

cut1.thumb.JPG.997411351462564e8c427f72c48e7cde.JPG

The last time I visited, I looked through the scree at the base of the cut and found items that, over time, had washed down from the rain. Many of these pieces didn't fair well with the 5-6 meter drop. After a few minutes of looking at the strata of the cut, I determined that the most fossiliferous layers were at the top 2 meters or so. I decided that I needed to check out the top instead of the bottom. I'm glad I did!

cut2.thumb.JPG.955b15ae9ed73563da35b36380199087.JPG

After a short walk and hike up the gentlest slope I could find, I made it to the top. This is what I found. A loose layer of dirt (well mud since it was raining...) with coral heads and fragments everywhere! All different shapes and sizes. whole specimens just a few cm across to ones that where half a meter or more.

cut3.thumb.JPG.27a70a45d746651e669b1bdb6e25b949.JPG 

coral1.thumb.JPG.3952f384acffd5b2adb05588259ecba7.JPG

coral2.thumb.JPG.c43ec49e44f9d3ffce916efbdb672c4a.JPG

coral3.thumb.JPG.968cc7af0a8de5b2fb790d6fb07169e2.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Congrats! You just found an exposure of the Bardstown reef!  The reef is rife with coral heads primarily of the genus Foerstephylum sp. but occasionally Tetradium sp.

@Herb has some pics of his finds from other exposures of this marker bed:  

• I found this Informative 6

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

After I got over my shock and excitement I looked closer. Taking a look at the ground past the coral revealed a more diverse group of fauna than what was visible at first glance. I noticed brachiopod fragments and solitary rugose coral. I quickly got down on my knees and started to collect.

ground.thumb.JPG.88f8d86e61d320a90f4afb1dbdd70368.JPG

I collected many brachiopods. Mainly species of Vinlandostrophia (Platystrophia). Most likely they were Vinlandstrophia (Platystrophia) ponderosa as that is the most common of the species. Although their are other species found in the Upper Ordovician of Kentucky. These are commonly mistaken for Spirifers as they have a similar shape.

brach1.thumb.JPG.f5b56f7e58dfb46191bceafe5e6a8794.JPG

brach2.thumb.JPG.23e4b55ac9ff04cb433f76207c536997.JPG

This one is probably a Hebertella sp. They are also common Ordovician brachiopods and found in the Drakes. Although Vinlandostrophia (Platystrophia) sp. were far more common at this location.

brach3.thumb.JPG.9bea626ed10e522d19d2eaf201886323.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Solitary rugose coral were fairly common as well. 

rugose1.thumb.JPG.497edb3a4fca7abb5a5ac53d40937a38.JPG

rugose2.thumb.JPG.e58e25d03638d71298a7982abfc18f1f.JPG

rugose3.thumb.JPG.bd86fad951ac2e36d068af8b26123ace.JPG

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

It started raining harder so I wasn't able to get many more pictures in the field. Here are a few more that I took once I got home. Sorry the lighting isn't the best. I played with a couple of lamps, but never could quite get the lighting right. Even following @Fossildude19's famous hand drawn diagram! :P 

brach4.thumb.JPG.fe901e087049847414ad04afc08d06ef.JPG

rugose4.thumb.JPG.653647d4d8879a211fcf1cbba838af18.JPG

I was also able to find a few gastropods. I've only found one other gastropod steinkern ever before so these are great!

gastropods.thumb.JPG.909915448e93a1d2863b6d70ee5cb5ab.JPG

Here are two small coral heads I collected that also had a brachiopod just sitting pretty right on top. These were some of my favorite finds of the day. :) 

coral4.thumb.JPG.cdc35b3474caca09c9e4a700e21feaf6.JPG

coralandbrach.thumb.JPG.69bf99b4b54706b5b974d32ffd05e1c7.JPG

I also found some tubular sponges that I am very excited about. Thanks to all the TFF members who helped me with the ID. I won't repost the pictures here. You can see them in the ID section...

Overall it was a great trip! I think I have found my new favorite hunting spot, and something to focus my personal research and study on. This is a place that I plan on visiting many times in the future. Rain or shine! :) 

• I found this Informative 7

There is some atmosphere and presage in them there clouds. You had a good days hunting. Btw your photos are pretty good. 

cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Congrats! You just found an exposure of the Bardstown reef!  The reef is rife with coral heads primarily of the genus Foerstephylum sp. but occasionally Tetradium sp.

@Herb has some pics of his finds from other exposures of this marker bed:  

Thanks! I suspected that I was in the Bardstown reef. I’ll definitely check out Herb’s pics. :) 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

There is some atmosphere and presage in them there clouds. You had a good days hunting. Btw your photos are pretty good. 

cheers Bobby 

I actually thought of you when taking the picture of the sky. Reminded me of one of your awesome painting. :thumbsu:

46 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Icky weather = less competition!  :thumbsu:

Very true! I had a couple of people honk, but none stopped by. Knowing me, they mistook me for a plumber while bent over looking at the ground. :heartylaugh:

Wonderful finds! :drool:

I think the solitary coral is Grewingkia rustica and the tubey things are probably the stromatoporoid Aulacera cylindrica. 

I don't think the brachs are Vinlandostrophia ponderosa. One or more of the other species, i'd guess. 

Yes to Hebertella occidentalis, IMHO

Check out Loxoplocus and Liospira for the gastropods.

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wonderful finds! :drool:

I think the solitary coral is Grewingkia rustica and the tubey things are probably the stromatoporoid Aulacera cylindrica. 

I don't think the brachs are Vinlandostrophia ponderosa. One or more of the other species, i'd guess. 

Yes to Hebertella occidentalis, IMHO

Check out Loxoplocus and Liospira for the gastropods.

Thanks Adam!

I thought those rugose might be a species of Grewingkia, but wasn’t sure enough to mention it. 

I’m still trying to figure out the subtle differences between the Vinlandostrophia species. I really like brachs, but they are so hard to ID to species sometimes. 

Aulacera seemed to be the general consensus on the tubey thing. Thanks for the input! 

Thanks for the ID on the Hebertella and the gastropod suggestions. :) 

12 minutes ago, Andy B said:

Love those bivalves!!

Thanks! Small correction though... Those are brachiopods and not bivalves. ;) 

11 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Thanks! Small correction though... Those are brachiopods and not bivalves. ;) 

Wow, I presumed by the size. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for taking us along! I like especially the in-situ shots. Seem to be some easy pickings there of very, very nice fossils! Reminds me somewhat of the infamous St. Leon roadcut.

Your photos are very good! Have you tried a black background? Some black fabric?

Franz Bernhard

Nice report and pictures. Though the roadcut did not appear familiar to me the fauna you collected is similar to ones I collected about three years ago in the company of Herb. I have two large corals from the Bardstown Reef flanking both sides of my front door. I would love to return there.

20 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for taking us along! I like especially the in-situ shots. Seem to be some easy pickings there of very, very nice fossils! Reminds me somewhat of the infamous St. Leon roadcut.

Your photos are very good! Have you tried a black background? Some black fabric?

Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz! St. Leon is on my bucket list. It’s only a few more hours drive to get there from the road cut I was at. Maybe one day.

I have not tried a black background, but mainly because I need a new ruler. The only one I have right now is clear with black lettering. You can’t see it at all with a black background. 

Vinlandostrophia ponderosa probably doesn't show up as high as the Drakes Fm.  But, yeah there are quite a few species listed for the Cincinnatian Series. Some are obvious and some are definitely restricted in range but way too many overlap and only subtle diagnostic differences. 

I once compiled the names of all the listed Cincinnatian species (everything I could find in the literature) and it was close to 1400 names.  Many were synonymous but after I had sorted the names out and boiled it down to the most current names it was still close to 1000.  I have since heard numbers between 750-900 for legit species BUT folks are still finding new and undescribed fauna.  

I'm in desperate need of a trip home to Ohio....got me a really bad jones....

In the mean time keep the hunting and ID? posts coming. I can at least get in some vicarious satisfaction....

• I found this Informative 3

41 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Nice report and pictures. Though the roadcut did not appear familiar to me the fauna you collected is similar to ones I collected about three years ago in the company of Herb. I have two large corals from the Bardstown Reef flanking both sides of my front door. I would love to return there.

Let me know the next time you will be down this way Jeff. I’d be glad to take you. Maybe you can get two more large corals for you back door! ;) 

35 minutes ago, erose said:

Some are obvious and some are definitely restricted in range but way too many overlap and only subtle diagnostic differences. 

It’s very confusing and frustrating at times. Then again, ID to species level is obviously not my strong point... :unsure:

44 minutes ago, erose said:

I once compiled the names of all the listed Cincinnatian species (everything I could find in the literature) and it was close to 1400 names.  Many were synonymous but after I had sorted the names out and boiled it down to the most current names it was still close to 1000.  I have since heard numbers between 750-900 for legit species BUT folks are still finding new and undescribed fauna.  

You did what?! :default_faint:

45 minutes ago, erose said:

I'm in desperate need of a trip home to Ohio....got me a really bad jones....

In the mean time keep the hunting and ID? posts coming. I can at least get in some vicarious satification....

I’ll do my best to make you feel at home! ;) 

Congrats on the successful (albeit rainy) hunt!  I especially like the gastropods, too :wub: (I'm generally not very lucky when it comes to finding them, either :))