StackB

Hi All,

I'm wondering if you could help me identify this item?

I think it's a fossil bone, but I just don't know. I found it lying on the surface where I was camped for the night by the Kem Kem beds. The reason we were camped was to visit the Spinosaurus dig site that was featured in the National Geographic Documentary, Bigger than T. Rex. I can provide the long and lat, for the exact location.

The surface it was on was rock strewn, so it was a chance find amidst many rocks. About 8-10 metres from a dry stream edge, not an obvious exposure or deposit from running water. The item had no part of it buried.

A link to the full resolution version of images is here, I'll leave the link active for 6 months. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AutS1HGsNzVXi-8IRNetXsI3rwZA4Q?e=C3cqMg

My feeling is that if it is a bone, that it may be spinal, with the hole through it as a major conduit for a nerve, or possibly a blood vessel.

But really I have no idea, and that's why I'm posting to gain your expertise! :)

Many thanks for your time.

Phil

_MG_2951.jpg

_MG_2952.jpg

_MG_2953.jpg

_MG_2954.jpg

_MG_2955.jpg

_MG_2943.jpg

_MG_2944.jpg

_MG_2945.jpg

_MG_2946.jpg

_MG_2947.jpg

_MG_2948.jpg

_MG_2949.jpg

_MG_2950.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

This looks like a weathered piece of limestone or sandstone, to me.  

Not seeing the bone texture one usually sees in fossil bones. :unsure: 

But wait around for some other members more knowledgeable about bones. 

They are my area of weakness. :blush:

@LordTrilobite   @Troodon   @Haravex  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

But wait around for some other members more knowledgeable about bones. 

They are my area of weakness. :blush:

Superman had his Kryptonite.

Pull out an old femur and Tim loses all his super powers! :P

Hello StackB and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  You've found a great place to find out the answers to such questions.  We welcome all inquiries and thrive on nubie questions because in answering them, we ourselves learn. 

I would agree that this is not a bone, but boy is it an interesting rock.  I'm sure that many of us would have picked it up for a second look.  I myself would have taken it home and added it to my "unique rocks" collection.

Glad to have you as part of the forum.

I agree, some areas resemble bone a bit. And the hole is suggestive of something of a vertebra. But the detail is just all wrong.

I don't think this is bone.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite