Purse State Park: Thanksgiving 2019

Andy B

A few pics from my 1st and only day at Purse State Park. I'm not really sure what I have here but would love to hear from you guys. I tried to group them with similar teeth but I'm sure I mixed a few. Sorry for no scale in the photos. I'll have to get a flat ruler for the future I guess. All teeth were between1/4" and 3/4" more or less. And I may have some of the same teeth in different pics. Thanks for looking. Andy

sIMG_7189.jpg

sIMG_7190.jpg

sIMG_7196.jpg

sIMG_7197.jpg

sIMG_7201.jpg

sIMG_7199.jpg

Here are a tooth and possibly 2 stones?? The tooth is worn but I'd be very curious to know what it is. It was different from the others. Thanks again.

sIMG_7191.jpg

sIMG_7210.jpg

Im not knowledgable on those cusped teeth you find over there.

But referring to the "stones". First is a classic example of a concretion and the second looks as if it may have been a recognizable fossil before Mother Nature polished it to death.

In your first picture, is that a piece of Vaseline glass under the shell?

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

is that a piece of Vaseline glass under the shell?

Jeez, I just looked that up. I have no idea but now I am afraid of it.

The second stone is an abraded shark tooth

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

10 hours ago, Andy B said:

Jeez, I just looked that up. I have no idea but now I am afraid of it.

Look at it with a UV light ( or a "blacklight" ), that will give you the answer.

If it is the piece will glow brilliantly.

10 hours ago, Andy B said:

Jeez, I just looked that up. I have no idea but now I am afraid of it

"The U.S. Nuclear Regulation Commission studied the health risks of Vaseline glass in its 2001 report, “Systematic Radiological Assessment of Exemptions for Source and Byproduct Materials.” This report agreed largely with what collectors had been saying all along—radiation from the glass was equally (or, in some cases, even less) harmful than the background radiation levels we are exposed to every day."

I never knew there was such glass!

24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Look at it with a UV light ( or a "blacklight" ), that will give you the answer.

If it is the piece will glow brilliantly.

I'm definitely going to get one of these. It looked white to me until you mentioned it in the pic. It does look exactly like vaseline.

17 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

"The U.S. Nuclear Regulation Commission studied the health risks of Vaseline glass in its 2001 report, “Systematic Radiological Assessment of Exemptions for Source and Byproduct Materials.” This report agreed largely with what collectors had been saying all along—radiation from the glass was equally (or, in some cases, even less) harmful than the background radiation levels we are exposed to every day."

I never knew there was such glass!

I read this too. People are actually collector of this stuff. I put mine on the porch last night until further inspection!! :unsure:

9 hours ago, Andy B said:

Mow that I look at the pic again, that looks like a vaseline oyster too! ;)

A perfect Christmas gift for a not so perfect neighbor!!!!

23 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

A perfect Christmas gift for a not so perfect neighbor!!!!

;)

Not Vaseline glass after all. I have mixed feelings. My teeth aren't going to fall out but that glass could have been from the 18oo's. The UV flashlight is a whole new toy though. The first pic I held the light close to the glass. The P&S camera made it look like some type of space artifact. I pulled the light back a little to show the difference.

sIMG_7211.jpg

sIMG_7212.jpg