Jump to content

Purse State Park: Thanksgiving 2019


Recommended Posts

A few pics from my 1st and only day at Purse State Park. I'm not really sure what I have here but would love to hear from you guys. I tried to group them with similar teeth but I'm sure I mixed a few. Sorry for no scale in the photos. I'll have to get a flat ruler for the future I guess. All teeth were between1/4" and 3/4" more or less. And I may have some of the same teeth in different pics. Thanks for looking. Andy

sIMG_7189.jpg

sIMG_7190.jpg

sIMG_7196.jpg

sIMG_7197.jpg

 

sIMG_7201.jpg

sIMG_7199.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a tooth and possibly 2 stones?? The tooth is worn but I'd be very curious to know what it is. It was different from the others. Thanks again.

sIMG_7191.jpg

sIMG_7210.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not knowledgable on those cusped teeth you find over there.

But referring to the "stones". First is a classic example of a concretion and the second looks as if it may have been a recognizable fossil before Mother Nature polished it to death.

In your first picture, is that a piece of Vaseline glass under the shell?

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caldigger said:

is that a piece of Vaseline glass under the shell?

Jeez, I just looked that up. I have no idea but now I am afraid of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Jersey Devil

The second stone is an abraded shark tooth

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Andy B said:

Jeez, I just looked that up. I have no idea but now I am afraid of it.

Look at it with a UV light ( or a "blacklight" ), that will give you the answer.

If it is the piece will glow brilliantly.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Andy B said:

Jeez, I just looked that up. I have no idea but now I am afraid of it

"The U.S. Nuclear Regulation Commission studied the health risks of Vaseline glass in its 2001 report, “Systematic Radiological Assessment of Exemptions for Source and Byproduct Materials.” This report agreed largely with what collectors had been saying all along—radiation from the glass was equally (or, in some cases, even less) harmful than the background radiation levels we are exposed to every day."

 

I never knew there was such glass!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Look at it with a UV light ( or a "blacklight" ), that will give you the answer.

If it is the piece will glow brilliantly.

I'm definitely going to get one of these. It looked white to me until you mentioned it in the pic. It does look exactly like vaseline.

17 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

"The U.S. Nuclear Regulation Commission studied the health risks of Vaseline glass in its 2001 report, “Systematic Radiological Assessment of Exemptions for Source and Byproduct Materials.” This report agreed largely with what collectors had been saying all along—radiation from the glass was equally (or, in some cases, even less) harmful than the background radiation levels we are exposed to every day."

 

I never knew there was such glass!

I read this too. People are actually collector of this stuff. I put mine on the porch last night until further inspection!! :unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Andy B said:

Mow that I look at the pic again, that looks like a vaseline oyster too! ;)

 

A perfect Christmas gift for a not so perfect neighbor!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

 

A perfect Christmas gift for a not so perfect neighbor!!!!

;)

 

 

Not Vaseline glass after all. I have mixed feelings. My teeth aren't going to fall out but that glass could have been from the 18oo's. The UV flashlight is a whole new toy though. The first pic I held the light close to the glass. The P&S camera made it look like some type of space artifact. I pulled the light back a little to show the difference.

 

 

sIMG_7211.jpg

sIMG_7212.jpg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...