Dinosaur egg - real or not?

ElCharrodeJalisco

Dear all, 

I am new to this website and to collecting fossils. I have seen a dinosaur egg, supposedly real, advertised as an egg from a large theropod. To me, the egg looks fake because the surface is very smooth and the shape "too perfect". Supposedly the egg was discovered in the 1960s. I would be happy if a knowledgeable person could briefly state their opinion on whether this is a fake or not..

Thank you very much :)

egg4.JPG

egg3.JPG

egg2.JPG

egg1.JPG

Brightened, and enlarged:

egg4.JPG.c97b08921b7e0115c8cc105121700441.jpg

egg3.JPG.dc3fcad053adc33fa787d7e13cd7e2cc.jpg

egg2.JPG.b46e09e42136a4d324052d52d8182902.jpg

egg1.JPG.42f07065d8472b0760497afe188fc871.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There is an unnatural gloss, perhaps from a "preservative" of some type. The matrix at the hatching window has the appearance of being shaped/smoothed. In themselves, these features do not prove the object is not a fossil egg; rather they may point to a piece that was "modified" in ways not typically seen today. The only sure observation from the photos - it does not look (gloss, smoothing) like fossil eggs I have seen.

On a second look, I believe I am seeing shell fragments in the smoothed matrix. If so, this would be a good sign.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Well first up, we need way bigger and better photos, preferably showing the object in different angles and lighting.

Second, its appearance is unlike most genuine theropod eggs I've seen. It is too smooth and the color is "off". I don't doubt that some sellers are overzealous on cleaning up and polishing a fossil egg, turning what could have been a wonderful-albeit-flawed egg into a composited mess. This object could be one of these unfortunate cases.

I do see what looks like eggshell textures in some of the pics but again, some scammers are even using real eggshells to make their fake eggs more convincing, so the texture alone doesn't say enough.

I will withhold my judgement till better pics are provided.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Dear all, 

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! Here are three more photos, unfortunately these are all I have. The seller (European) told me that she had bought it many years ago and all she knows from the previous owner is that the egg was found in the 1960s. She said that there was a preservative added to the shell, so the egg can be placed in humid environments, e.g. next to a jacuzzi. Also, she told me that the backside of the egg was filled with a grey substance (looks like concrete to me) and that this is how things used to be done many decades ago... supposedly the egg is from a large predator, but I doubt that since these eggs are rare, although the egg is 50cm large. I don't really mind which species the egg is from, since this is almost impossible to tell in my opinion, but I am trying to figure out whether it's real... Like some in this forum, I've been led astray before. 

Thank you so much! This forum is awesome, I'm glad I found it.

egg7.JPG

egg6.JPG

egg5.JPG

Okay that at explains alot 

The heavy coating and the cement are not typical of what are done to eggs and really diminishes its collector value IMO.  My sense is that it's real, from a theropod,  but not something I would want in a collection because of what was done to it.  Nicer, unaltered eggs are available on the market one just needs to be patient

Agree with Troodon. Leaning towards real but not confident enough to say for sure. Also agree that it’s one I’d pass on due to the terrible prep/alterations done. 

Given the length, this egg has the morphology and size range of Macroelongatoolithus. However, those genuine ones I've seen are always flattened or crushed and never perfectly rounded like yours

Tarbosaurus_egg_in_Vienna.thumb.jpg.56370082c61fb16e20cd213f3d05b7fb.jpg

Macroelongatoolithus eggs in the Naturhistorisches Museum Wien

Macroelongatoolithus-Geological_Museum_of_China.thumb.jpg.5eff35f8bbbca93987f2897eef6c4a8d.jpg

Eggs at the Geological Museum of China

BHIGR.jpg.9d58ecb82aa06fcbd1af2409681f6f42.jpg

Macroelongatoolithus cast from BHIGR

Even on the off chance this is genuine, I would stay away. The quality and poor preparation just isn't worth it

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Dear all,

Thank you for your help and advice! I will decide depending on the price. Should I decide to buy the egg, I will try to post some more pictures of better quality here; maybe these could be useful to some other users, too.

Regards from Italy!

I disagree, it doesn't look real to me at all. I've prepared quite a number of real eggs from China, and I'm also from Italy, so if you don't live too far I could have a look. But as I previously said this looks really really fake ( based on many aspect)

Thanks Glu! I am in Milan but the egg is from an online auction. That’s why all I have are the photos. Could you elaborate a bit on why you’re convinced that the egg is fake? Grazie mille :)

On 12/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, Troodon said:

Okay that at explains alot 

The heavy coating and the cement are not typical of what are done to eggs and really diminishes its collector value IMO.  My sense is that it's real, from a theropod,  but not something I would want in a collection because of what was done to it.  Nicer, unaltered eggs are available on the market one just needs to be patient

A 50 cm long egg is real?? I'm really surprised sometimes in this forum. :o

This smells and looks like FAKE from the distance, maybe I'm wrong but don't even want to waste time checking for more clues, because even the story sounds like a fairytale.  

13 hours ago, ElCharrodeJalisco said:

Thanks Glu! I am in Milan but the egg is from an online auction. That’s why all I have are the photos. Could you elaborate a bit on why you’re convinced that the egg is fake? Grazie mille :)

Trust him! It's a FAKE... Don't waste time... 

17 hours ago, ElCharrodeJalisco said:

Sorry for the late reply. Anyway:

-size (huge even for the larger type of Elongatoolithus)

-base

-egg not crushed at all (very very unusual, especially with so fragmented eggs)

-bubbles visible on lateral view

-patter: macroelongatoolithus have a thick shell that abrade very easy with sandblaster. So the details should be much more visible

- that strange pink/reddish matrix

- glossy

Dear all, thank you so much for your help! I have followed your recommendations and have decided not to buy the egg. Merry Xmas and happy holidays!

Edited by ElCharrodeJalisco