dinosaur man

7 minutes ago, Omnomosaurus said:

On the subject of locality, the tooth is definitely from Alberta and the seller I originally had it from believed it was from the DP fm. but couldn't be 100% sure.

okay got it, thanks

Its a very unusal tooth.  Its CHR is 3, crazy high, but that could be because the base is not all there.  The mesial carina appears straight correct no twist?

• I found this Informative 2

45 minutes ago, Omnomosaurus said:

That Tyrannosaur tooth is gorgeous, Paul!

Thank you. It’s one of my best. Hopefully the measurements I take help somewhat 

• I found this Informative 1

53 minutes ago, Troodon said:

okay got it, thanks

Its a very unusal tooth.  Its CHR is 3, crazy high, but that could be because the base is not all there.  The mesial carina appears straight correct no twist?

It could be the base throwing things off, since there does appear to be some length missing from the posterior of the base.

No, there is a twist on the mesial carina (you can see it twisting to the right in the photo and terminating 3/4 down the face):

IMG_20200106_203702958.thumb.jpg.7d793977acda08798477fcb390e887a6.jpg

The tip is also very sharp & pointed compared to a lot of Tyrannosaurid teeth I've seen in the past:

1578342789964.jpg.2eae0210318c08f96239785d51157417.jpg

That's a better view.   Thanks..  From that view looks complete from that side.   Always like non standard teeth.   If you are ever chatting with Christophe ask him if he's seen tyrannosaurids with extra fine mesial serrations. 

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

That's a better view.   Thanks..  From that view looks complete from that side.   Always like non standard teeth.   If you are ever chatting with Christophe ask him if he's seen tyrannosaurids with extra fine mesial serrations. 

I think there might be a couple of mm of length missing on the posterior of the base that might bring the CHR down (down by much though).

I always like to go for the unusual ones. The perfect carina and sharp tip drew me straight to this tooth.

I don't want to pester him too much with questions, but next time I will ask him about those fine mesial serrations.

Would you say my tooth looks like it's from a juvie?

Hard to say, could be a replacement tooth. 

The largest CHR of my JRF teeth which I know is 2.4

I agree with not bothering him why I said the next opportunity you get to talk to him ask him about it.

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Hard to say, could be a replacement tooth. 

The largest CHR of my JRF teeth which I know is 2.4

I agree with not bothering him why I said the next opportunity you get to talk to him ask him about it.

Wow, I'm surprised at that. 

I'd say there's a maximum of another 3mm that could arguably be added to my CBL, judging by the distance between the edge of the existing base posterior that I measured to and where the distal carina should exist if it was intact at the cervix. That still would give a CHR of 2.7 though.

It's a shame Christophe is such a busy guy, because there are a lot of questions I'd like to throw his way!

That's a bit better 

With Tyrannosaurid teeth Pete Larsen is another source but he's not a technician like Christophe. 

@Omnomosaurus Just did my small tooth the only Tyrannosaur tooth I have at the moment. From the Judith River formation of Montana and it is 1.3 cm long. the Mesial is 7 and the Distal is 6 over 2mm, so I’m guessing this could possibly be another Daspletosaurus? I had to use a Microscope for it, the serrations are really worn. This is all I can post for the Tyrannosaur teeth for now, until out West, but can’t wait to see everyone’s results, this is very interesting.

7BAE3CF3-E22F-45C8-B7E8-BA6830F0E7C7.jpeg

Don’t know if this type of tooth will work? I think it might not fully sure.

19 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

Just did my small tooth the only Tyrannosaur tooth I have at the moment. From the Judith River formation of Montana and is 1.3 cm. And the Mesial is 7 and the Distal is 6 over 2mm, I had to use a Microscope for it, the serrations are really worn. This is all I can post for the Tyrannosaur teeth for now, until out West, but can’t wait to see everyone’s results, this is very interesting.

7BAE3CF3-E22F-45C8-B7E8-BA6830F0E7C7.jpeg

Good start there, dinosaur man. We probably need a bit more detail on it too first, to see if it's a positional tooth that can be analysed.

Can you measure the base from front to back and across the middle of the base too, to give us a width? And what shape is the base, is it rounded or compressed?

Can you also tell if the mesial carina reaches the base, or naturally ends before it gets there?

@Omnomosaurus The base is 9mm by 5mm  and is rounded and the mesial carina naturally ends before the base. 

C9E38784-4B3D-4E04-8DBD-56E7D76F8B8E.jpeg

1 hour ago, dinosaur man said:

@Omnomosaurus The base is 9mm by 5mm  and is rounded and the mesial carina naturally ends before the base. 

C9E38784-4B3D-4E04-8DBD-56E7D76F8B8E.jpeg

Great stuff.

So your tooth's specs are:

CH: 13mm

CBL: 9mm

CBW: 5mm

CHR: 0.4

CBR: 0.6

Oval base

Mesial carina does not reach the cervix

@Troodon Would you say this one's a posterior lateral tooth?

Im leaning toward this being a lateral tooth and would identify it as an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid.

I want to make one more pont on material from the JRF.  There are no Tyrannosaurids described from that formation so the best we can do in assigning teeth if they meet Hendrickx criteria is using the "cf" as a prefex to the appropriate genus.

• I found this Informative 2

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Im leaning toward this being a lateral tooth and would identify it as an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid.

I want to make one more pont on material from the JRF.  There are no Tyrannosaurids described from that formation so the best we can do in assigning teeth if they meet Hendrickx criteria is using the "cf" as a prefex to the appropriate genus.

Very good point! I completely forgot about using "cf" when referring to JRF Tyrannosaurids.

I think @dinosaur man the best bet now is to wait and see what people already with the correct positional teeth find. With the amount of great members on the forum, it shouldn't take long for some results to start appearing.

@Fossildude19 would you be able to pin this to see how much results we can get on it, and test it out. Its very interesting and me, and a lot of other members would probably love to hear what other people say about this Thank you!!

2 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

@Fossildude19 would you be able to pin this to see how much results we can get on it, and test it out. Its very interesting and me, and a lot of other members would probably love to hear what other people say about this Thank you!!

dinosaur man: 

I think this is something that needs to be tweaked, and reposted.   :( 

A more descriptive title stating that measurements of isolated Tyrannosaurid teeth are wanted for an experiment, would be a place to start.

EX:  Experiment on isolated Tyrannosaurid teeth (from so and so formations) : Your specimen measurements required!

Tag it properly, and then maybe outline the experiment by stating what you are hoping to accomplish by this, and the methods of measurement to be used. 

Make a draft first, and then ask one of the dino tooth guys on here (via PM) to have a look, and make sure it is clear and concise.  :) 

As it stands now, this discussion is a bit difficult to follow, (it meanders a bit) for those of us with little/no interest in dinosaur teeth. 

It isn't really a quick guide, and some clarification would be required. 

Once this is accomplished, we can discuss featuring or pinning the topic. ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me