Please help me ID some fossils I found east of Nashville

ucpinky

Hi! This is my first time posting, and I'd love some help with two interesting fossils I found east of Nashville. The first is a slab with a ton of stuff in it, and the second is coral or sponge mayyybe? Thanks for your help!

20191211_110259.jpg

79122058_10159138647193662_6315383739547385856_o.jpg

The first one I can't see what the fossils may be. 

The second one seems to be a coquina; I can only make out smashed up bits of shell.

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Look a little less than 1/4 of the way up the pencil and about the same distance to the left. One of those bits looks like the free cheek from a trilobite molt. 

I have to agree with others, both pieces look to be predominately bryozoan, but there are undoubtedly bits and pieces of other things as well. Nice hash plates and welcome to the forum!

• I found this Informative 1

Congrats on your finds and welcome to the forum.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

With the new picture of the first specimen, it definitely looks to me to be a lot of bryozoan pieces. Probably some other bits in there as well, but mostly bryozoa.

Just like @Tidgy's Dad I thought coquina at first glance on the second, but I can see how it might also be bryozoa. Clear pictures of other angles would help decide. 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

8 hours ago, ucpinky said:

I tried to upload more examples but it wouldn't let me I'll try to add a close up here.

It looks as if my possible trilo bit has been demoted to unidentifiable bit of something. Perhaps still bryozoan.

Bryozoan. And if I remember, there is Ordovician close to Nashville. This type of bryozoan could create large colonies. I remember someone from DryDredgers fossil club who took the time to prep and reconstruct plates like yours. It was impressive! Just can't find the site.

File:Bryozoan (reconstructed colony) (Cincinnatian Series, Upper Ordovician; vicinity of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA)

File:Bryozoan (reconstructed colony) (Cincinnatian Series, Upper Ordovician; vicinity of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) 1 (17205823709).jpg

DescriptionBryozoan (reconstructed colony) (Cincinnatian Series, Upper Ordovician; vicinity of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) 1 (17205823709).jpg Bryozoan (reconstructed colony) (Cincinnatian Series, Upper Ordovician; vicinity of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) 1
Date 2 May 2015, 11:08
Source Bryozoan (reconstructed colony) (Cincinnatian Series, Upper Ordovician; vicinity of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) 1
Author James St. John