DumbRockPerson

Georgia Extravaganza

DumbRockPerson

Hello,

i'm looking for Georgia beginner family friendly spots. I am heading to Georgia, mainly in Atlanta, but willing to travel about an hour or so from there to begin my first rockhounding adventure with my mother. I was thinking Graves Mountain for crystal hunting. Only lingering spot for fossils right now would be Tibbs Bridge for some trilobites(if doable pertaining prior posts) 

Do you have any recommendations for me?

Thanks,

Dereck

goatinformationist

So sorry DRP,  but the Tibbs bridge site has been closed by the state.  Seems too many people spoiled the pie. Special groups can visit by invitation, mostly educational or scientific interests.  Very sad.  Just heard about it at the last Georgia Mineral Society monthly meeting.

Maybe another fabulous crystal site?  Try the Hogg Mine in LaGrange Ga., closer to Atlanta than Graves Mtn; at about 90mi.  It is a pay to play site but reasonable for the richness of truck sized (star) rose quartz, black tourmaline, beryl and aquamarine stoneage.  My son is the only one that I can point out as having found a small amount of amythest.  Very family friendly and you take all you want/have room for.   Visit hoggmine.com for dig dates and other news.  Take thick gloves.

Plax

Shellseeker

You are in Georgia.  Search this forum for the word Georgia.  Might be surprised what you find.