Crazy blue ammonites

DLB

age?  Can we see an end on view from the edge of the rock?

Could it be a planispiral snail?  Is it form a fresh water deposit?

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, jpc said:

age?  Can we see an end on view from the edge of the rock?

Could it be a planispiral snail?  Is it form a fresh water deposit?

I'm not really sure the seller said it's a ammonite from  Colorado I've never seen this before and have a snail that looks familiar but it's not blue colored 

It does appear more gastropod than ammonite.

Am noticing the color is not dispersed on all parts of the fossil. I'll wait to hear from members that may have seen such a thing, but as of right now I am not totally convinced the coloring is natural.

They sure look like they have had some watercolor paint brushed over them. :mellow:

Oops! Missed a spot!

20191211_184858.png

20191211_184917.png

20191211_184941.png

• I found this Informative 7

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I don't believe the coloration will be of help in specimen ID.  The color is a factor of permineralization, or the mineralization may even have taken place long after the fossilization and so has nothing (IMO) to do with the specimen's ID.  (It could also be, as @caldigger has suggested, " some watercolor paint").  The only way it might be a factor is that if someone can ID an area in CO where this is a common occurrence, and then it is only useful to help in ID'ing the age, not the specific ID of the specimen.

To get a positive ID, I think you will need to know the age/location, and then determine if gastropod vs. amminoid (I'm thinking Gastropod).

Hope this is useful.

The first image, and some of caldigger's study, look like they might be a verdigris type green.  I don't see it as much in the more blue image(s). Is it possible that it was some sort of reaction between copper that is present in the mineralized material and some other agent? Just thinking out loud. 

I hunt on a tributary of the Caloosahatchee  River in Ft. Myers Fl and it is loaded with these...they are all sorts of beautiful shades of greens and blues and teal.  (These are the only ones I had handy and they haven’t been cleaned very well yet.. but you get the idea -  same shape and I find them that color.) E5DC3F6F-D1B5-45F5-979B-B5FE58BEDA80.thumb.jpeg.5f3adf252cf3ed4a5e5430c17f0b976e.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

5 hours ago, Reebs said:

they are all sorts of beautiful shades of greens and blues

Thanks for the comparative specimens! These are sligthly water-worn and they look like to be "colored" by algae. What do you think?

These are somewhat different:

20191211_165243.jpg

They are still encased in rock. Coloring looks like to be patchy azurite, but a paint job can not be excluded... Some tests or more background infos would be required.

Either way, thanks for sharing, very interesting specimens!

Franz Bernhard

@DLB Could you please post sharper photos with a higher resolution if possible. I think I may be seeing suture lines, but I'm not at all certain. Wouldn't water paint be soluble?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

20191211_165243.jpg 

An easy way to check out if these specimens were colored by humans would be to chip away the rock in the lower right corner and see if the blue coloration exists deeper on the fossil.

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Wouldn't water paint be soluble?

If you look close right above the item on the matrix you can see the fossil has been coated with a sealant.  Which may prevent you from merely wiping any surface color off with a wet cotton swab.

20191212_043613.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, Plax said:

Have seen steinkerns colored with vivianite in weathered subsoils with abundant modern decaying leaves above.

That would account for the blue color.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

These are certainly interesting! I don't have a clue as to the coloring, but I'm in the gastropod camp versus ammonite

So as for the coloring pretty sure it is fake. So if anyone sees these out there let it be known that they are colored to say the least. here is why I say this.

20191212_161727.jpg

No idea about the validity of the color, but I know in certain ordovician rocks (Gull River Fm.) around here, gastropods, bivalves and cephalopods can be found with a coating of green glauconite, and weathered examples can look similar to yours with an uneven coating. I don't have any pics handy, but a google search should show you some examples. Not sure what mineral would leave similar results in blue.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

6 hours ago, RJB said:

Coloring looked painted on the second I saw these.  Easy to say after the fact.   Sorry DLB

RB

no sweat they only cost $5

8 minutes ago, DLB said:

no sweat they only cost $5

Yeah, no problem there. Your one of those guys always on the lookout for more and other good and neato stuff.   Its a gamble sometimes but if you take those chances sometimes you win.  Keep it up friend. 

RB