Mammal Teeth From The Desert

MrBones

Here are some more late miocene fossils I found close to Shipwerck beech/Hamra 1. The small tooth is about 40mm long, I am hoping it belongs to a monkey, since there have only been 2 other monkey teeth found in the UAE. It might just be a rodent, but I want to make sure, the larger tooth was found almost at the exact same spot. I hope you guys can get an Id for them.20191212_160115.thumb.jpg.e03e0752732f4575b5a91ba5b8f7140c.jpg20191212_160133.thumb.jpg.39e4d3c0ec45c76ecfe2e9bc1c7793ca.jpg20191212_160221.thumb.jpg.1966f85068f56ebd3565d1220689cef2.jpg

I'm very uncertain about the tiny tooth.  It does not seem to have any structure and is worn flat.  Could be alot of things.

The larger tooth certainly isn't monkey.  Here is a good picture and scan of the monkey tooth that was found.

https://fossilsofarabia.wordpress.com/

The larger tooth reminds me of the way bison teeth wear here in the states.  I would guess its an artiodactyl premolar (antelope?) of some sort.  I am completely unfamiliar with what animals are in the UAE during the Miocene though.  Hope that helps you narrow things down a bit.

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, ParkerPaleo said:

I'm very uncertain about the tiny tooth.  It does not seem to have any structure and is worn flat.  Could be alot of things.

The larger tooth certainly isn't monkey.  Here is a good picture and scan of the monkey tooth that was found.

The larger tooth reminds me of the way bison teeth wear here in the states.  I would guess its an artiodactyl premolar (antelope?) of some sort.  I am completely unfamiliar with what animals are in the UAE during the Miocene though.  Hope that helps you narrow things down a bit.

Perhaps Giraffe/okapi?  p2

fece149c23ae47d8acce55e19ad03765.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

Very helpful, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/01/2020 at 7:46 PM, fossillarry said:

Probably cervid, could be antilope. Looks like fossil teeth I have from China.

Just found some photos, the teeth look very similar. Thank you.