RuMert

Hello, everybody!

Today I will present you an unusual way of fossil hunting, popular in Moscow - digging ammonites from under the snow! You'd expect that, wouldn't you?;) Well, it doesnt always involve snow (but often does), especially this year when we don't have it yet, but the site I will be talking about is available only in winter. The Moskva river level is intentionally dropped for "winter navigation" which typically happens at the end of November. Places located underwater become available which is also the case for Markovo foreshore situated some 40km to the south-east of Moscow. The site is famous for Oxfordian ammonites of great preservation quality.

Descent to the river.

1.jpg

In summer the water level is hiigh enough to reach the pier.

2.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

Some scoop the ground underwater and sift it. Others dig frozen ground (its more beneficial), leaving behind huge pits - the river erodes them in spring. Its a beautiful place sometimes, but windy, muddy and cold. 

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

This is the clay the ammonites are found in. Its something inbetween ordinary clay and shale, forming numerous thin layers. Its filled with fossils, predominantly ammonites, but 99% are only imprints

13.jpg

14.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

What an astonishing report and wonderful photos.:default_faint:

I've never heard or seen anything like it, though far too cold for me to even attempt. 

Those ammonites are truly beautiful and I love the little gastropods too. And I have a particular soft spot for scaphopods.

Do they need any kind of additive to stop them drying out and disintegrating? 

Thank you for a simply marvelous and fascinating report. :)

• I found this Informative 9

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Wow, those ammonites are really beautiful!  :wub: :wub: :wub:   Also the holes dug by collectors are quite impressive, but I can understand the effort given the quality of the fossils.

Don

Edited to add: That "almost complete" Dicroloma is just wonderful! :wub: :wub: :wub:

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for taking us on a fossil hunt to a part of the world most folks will never get to. Beautiful ammos with a spectacular sheen!

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Excellent report, finds, and photos!

Hardcore fossil hunting in the cold!  :) 

Thank you for posting this, I enjoyed reading it. 

Question for you - do you ever bother to try to remove the nacre from the counterpart (negative) , to add it back to the part (positive) ? 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Spectacular finds and great report! Thanks for all of the site photos. I felt like I was there....minus the cold! :ammonite01:

Great hunt.  I've found a few frozen fossils over the years as well.  One time I found a nest of a dozen Ectenocrinus crinoid crowns frozen to the ground, and I had to use my hot breath to release them.  Thanks for posting.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thank you all for your kind words and comments! This place is something unusual which I felt obliged to share with you

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Do they need any kind of additive to stop them drying out and disintegrating? 

Well, it was my 1st visit to that place, but more experienced people say nothing is needed (cephalopods only, all the rest will need some consolidating)

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

do you ever bother to try to remove the nacre from the counterpart (negative) , to add it back to the part (positive) ?

Usually I dont which I regret. Maybe next time when I find something similar

Hi,

Great fossils ! Very interesting report.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Wow, those are gorgeous! Very nice report and fossils:wub:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

53 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Thank you all for your kind words and comments! This place is something unusual which I felt obliged to share with you

When I first read this I thought the place that you referring to as "something unusual" was The Fossil Forum. ;) I agree that your site is out of the ordinary that we usually see here. One of the joys of this forum is to be able to see local sites from around the globe. Site photos and photos of fossil in situ allow us to "participate" in fossil hunts without ever leaving our keyboards (or mobile devices).

You must have a limited window of time in which you can dig this site. I would imaging it is only a brief opportunity between then lowering the water level and the time the ground freezes too solid to dig into anymore. How long does your fossil season run at this site?

Cheers.

-Ken