Huge gator tooth?!

Reebs

Hello friends, 

I recently found this tooth that has some gator looking characteristics, but the size absolutely dwarfs every other gator tooth in my collection. My mind was absolutely blown when I found this thing. It was found in Bradenton, Fl. It’s about 2.5” long and 1” wide and the widest point. It’s in poor condition but from the enamel and hole inside Im thinking its def. a tooth.  It’s hollow from about the halfway point up.  What is this monster tooth!? I think the site is part of hawthorn group Arcadia formation Oligocene/Miocene but do not quote me on that part, still trying to confirm my sites as it can be tricky to get an exact pinpoint when cross referencing google maps with Florida geological maps. I have another tooth in question I will post separately. Thanks so much for looking :) 

5E280AA3-B464-410C-8CB6-E8E1218C1BF0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

One of the distinctive features of gator teeth are the two fine carinae or ridges that run from the tip to the root. They would be found opposite to each other and look like mold seams for an injection-molded tooth. The conical root definitely fits with gator.

Cheers.

-Ken

Wow, what a monster! 

Heading to FL Venice / Arcadia area in a couple weeks. Sure hope I can find something like that... :envy:

4 hours ago, digit said:

look like mold seams for an injection-molded tooth. 

They look like fakes ! ?  :headscratch:

That's almost cruel.  :wacko:

Yup. Gator teeth look like they were molded with a 2-part mold. The much rarer croc teeth that can also be found in South Florida have many more striations and are usually more narrow and elongate so they are pretty easy to distinguish.

Cheers.

-Ken

@facehugger I hope you do too! Feel free to reach out when your in town if you have free time...I’m always up for a hunt :)  Enjoy the trip and hoping for many happy florida finds for you.