Mystery tooth

Reebs

Hello, 

I found this tooth looking fossil in Parrish, Fl.  It looks similar size to a large gator tooth but it’s more almond shaped.  It does have a very apparent ridge on one side and the ridge appears to have little serrations towards the bottom of it. I have never found a tooth like this before...the inside looks completely solid but does appear to have a slightly different color core.  Please help ID, and thanks again for looking! 

ECBE9CCD-0619-4495-9A79-42ED1FE3A74A.jpeg

28F88D79-2F78-4651-9337-E271CC76C9FC.jpeg

With the piece in hand, does it appear that it is the shape of the inside of a bivalve (clam) shell?

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Great! Another mystery solved. A few years back I found a much larger coiled item that I just could not wrap my mind around--wasn't geological, definitely biological but it made no sense. Turned out to be the spiraled steinkern of a large gastropod snail (like a conch). Once you shift perception to realize that it is the negative internal mold and not a fossilized bone at all, then it all clicked and made perfect sense. That experience led me to add steinkerns to my checklist of possible identifications for mystery objects. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

@digit thanks so much for the feedback. I did not know what steinkerns were before you mentioned them.  I now have an ID for not only this mystery item, but a few others in my collection.  I have a few that are clearly internal molds of shells but I never knew what to call them other than a shell without its shell hehe! As soon as you pointed to this as a possibility the lightbulb went on and I started researching :) Many thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. It is much appreciated. 

Knowledge is pretty powerless unless it is used and shared. That's the underlying basis of this forum. ;)

I love those little "light bulb" moments when a new bit of learning can be reapplied and solve additional mysteries. It's one thing to show an unknown to someone and get an ID but quite another to figure one out for yourself with acquired knowledge. I like reading the diversity of posts on this forum and (hopefully) sopping up a tiny bit of knowledge/experience because you never know when it could come in handy. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2