Joebiwan3

Hey everyone this next tooth in my collection was sold to me as a possible Dromaeosaurus Albertensis from the judith river formation in Hill co Mt. Its size is 5/8"....CH is 16 mm, the anterior serrations are 9 per 2 mm and the posterior serrations are 8 per 2 mm.....again sorry for the finger placement in some of the pics...in trying to get the best shots i can for you all. @Troodon

Screenshot_20191212-225208_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191212-225218_Gallery.jpg

Love to help you on this one but the photos are awful, most are well out of focus and dark.  come back with better one.  Use putty which is available on line or at hobby shops to hold the tooth.  Having said this tooth looks more like a Tyrannosaurid than Dromaeosaurus so this analysis needs to be done

• I found this Informative 1

Yup for sure. Let get as close to 100% as we can....in the meantime ill post another tooth tonight....any other equipement i could get that will help in classification? And if this turns out to be tyrannosaurid tooth what are we looking at? Gorgosaurus or daspletosaurus?

@Troodon after looking under the usb microscope CH is 15 mm....posterior serrations are 18 per 4 mm....and anterior serrations are 20 per 4 mm. Museum putty did not come in yet so i tried my best to get fingers out of the way for everyone.

5df5a70fcc23d_19-12-14213846.thumb.png.80c40c9ab45d29f9914f97545f2ba0d8.png

19-12-14 21:40:01.png

• I found this Informative 1

Now that's more like it, those USB scopes take the guesswork out and provide very clear images.  I use blu tack putty for photos, found that museum one too sticky but definitely try it.  

I'm leaning toward this being a Tyrannosaurid tooth.  The serration count difference is very small but the another indicator is the shape of the denticles, not Dromaeosaurus.  P. Currie in one of his papers remarked how similar the teeth were of Tyrannosaurs and Dromaeosaurus and a differentiator was the shape of the dentical

What shape should i be looking for in the denticles? Where can i find that paper by currie? And what would you label this tooth then?

ID:  "Tyrannosaurid indet"

I have to look up that paper will let you know. 

Serration from the book below

20191215_071017.thumb.jpg.14ef9040148263af4e6c1eac9a31e18a.jpg

Good book that has a chapter devoted to small theropod teeth from the old JRF in alberta, since it's an old publication

20191215_070406.thumb.jpg.0d2976c6918eafee2fe232127eae2f0b.jpg

Great, i have this book. Ill check out that chapter later......ill post another one tonight. So for this particular tooth being tyrannosaurid indet its either a gorgosaurus or a daspletosaurus as we said earlier correct? Would the small size indicate a juvenile?